StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: What are the "must try" cigars for those new to the cigar world?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I am sure this has been asked a thousand times, but what are the "must try" cigars?  The ones I can get in the US of course...  I have seen many references to Opus X, Fuente, AVO, CAO ( I have tried the anniversary Maduro and LOVED it!), - What would you reccomend to someone out looking to try different cigars?  I would like to avoid ones that the majority of people dislike - or the ones whose name or popularity is all that they have going for them - like ACID.  I tried a few of those and quickly decided that they sucked.  I tried a Romeo Y Julieta (while in Costa Rica) - and it was great - The 3 different CAO's I tried were all good.  What are your favorites?  What are your dislikes?  I know everyone is different, but I don't think anyone in here would be satisfied with a White Owl...
in my most humble opinion...

more affordable: flor dominicana, oliva

pricier but worth every penny: padron, tatuaje, pepin, coronado, san cristobal

most importantly keep trying different things and follow your own taste. the journey is half the fun.
Bungalowbill Wrote:most importantly keep trying different things and follow your own taste. the journey is half the fun.
I know - I am just looking for a cheat sheet to pick my next purchases from.
At the less spendy end of the spectrum, while Rocky Patel's newer lines can be a bit hit or miss, the Edge, Vintage, Sungrown, and Old World Reserve maduros are all terrific smokes. The new Edge Sumatra is a "must try," and the Sungrowns have been a favorite of mine for several years now. Don Lino Africa is another of my go-to picks at this end of the market.

Camacho is doing VERY interesting cigars this year. The Corojo SE and Liberty 2007 are both great. If you come across '05 or '06 Liberties, buy them too. Big Grin

LFD (La Flor Dominicana) and their premium line, Litto Gomez, are terrific. Just ask Rob . . . I think he'd put out for Litto if Litto asked. [lol]

The LFD Chisel must be experienced. On a full stomach.

Punch Rare Corojo is an annual release that most people jump on. The new Crystale Torpedo in this year's batch is a very tasty cigar, imho.

Don Pepin Garcia/Tatuaje/Padilla are newer "must try" lines, all from the same genius and all sharing a distinctive flavor profile unlike anything else. San Cristobal was blended by the same man for Ashton and is probably my favorite cigar at present. Especially the torpedo.

High end, well, basically it's Fuente Opus X, Fuente Anejo and Padron's 1964 and 1926 lines, and Ashton VSG and ESG. All expensive, generally harder to find than other cigars, and worth both the cost and the search.

But the real fun is wandering through a well-stocked walkin at a good B&M with a lounge, looking for something that just plain looks and smells good to YOU . . . and trying it on the spot. You can find both real treasures and real dog rockets that way, but in either case, you'll usually make some good friends too.

NANP™
[cigar]
well, my recommendations would be a don pepin garcia 1979 robusto, a cao brazilia, a cao soprano, one that i've been dying to try is a la aurora 100 anos, and i just saw tinderbox had a deal on a sampler with one of these in it, i'm thinking i might bite. i also recommend the edge, and try to keep a box of both corojo and maduros on hand, and i'm dying to try the sumatra, but i can't find them in anything but a full box.
My "on the cheap" absolute favorite is Consuegra #9 about $24 a bundle, delicious. If you like mild and want quality go with Ashton, Macanudo, Don Diego, of course there are others. My top smokes for now are OpusX, Tatuaje, Don Pepin and Ashton VSG. It's hard to beat a Padron 26 or 64. These cigars have proven themselves over the long run as high quality cigars that stay true over time. IMHO.
[user=380]scott81425[/user] wrote:
Quote: i'm dying to try the sumatra, but i can't find them in anything but a full box.

Serious Cigars in Houston sells Edge Sumatra singles, toro or torp, at $5.00 each; that's pretty consistent with the 20-count box price at Atlantic and Cheaper. Good vendor too, i've dealt with 'em a couple times.

http://www.seriouscigars.com/types/Build...%20Sumatra

NANP™
[cigar]
wow, great find nanp. thank you!
oh yeah, i'll continue the tradition of recommending the padron anniversary cigars, in a league of their own. i've had the pleasure of torching a few, and every single one is just a couple hours of heaven.
Thanks guys.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  My wife and I plan to check out the newly opened cigar shop in town and I was looking for some ideas of what I should look for.  I am hoping they have some of these you have mentioned - it is a pretty small shop.  If not, I will just have to go to Raleigh or Durham.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6