StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: It's Here - My Humidor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thanks Skipper!
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Heat rises:

Cool air pushes down:

Why is the reservoir on the bottom shelf? Shouldn't it be higher? Maybe with a small unit it's okay but then again in a lot of shops I see them on ground level.

Why is that?
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong.

Heat rises:

Cool air pushes down:

Why is the reservoir on the bottom shelf? Shouldn't it be higher? Maybe with a small unit it's okay but then again in a lot of shops I see them on ground level.

Why is that?
Humid air is lighter than dry air so the air from the humidifier will rise to the top. It is just a molecular thing. H20 in vapor form is lighter than oxygen and nitrogen which makes up most of our atmosphere.
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong.

Heat rises:

Cool air pushes down:

Why is that?
Look at the humidifier. The fan is on the top and therefore it pushes the vapos upwards. If the fan pushed down, he'd be telling you to put it on the top. With active humidifiers the wind created by the fan far outweighs any other consideration. With passive, the pucks are 90% of the time mounded on the top. But your humidor is windless in these circumstances.
Take a look at Eddie DeJong's article on this titled, "Humid Air, Does It Go Up Or Down".

http://www.stogiefresh.com/media.htm
BrianEE93 Wrote:Take a look at Eddie DeJong's article on this titled, "Humid Air, Does It Go Up Or Down".

it doesn't count with an active humidifier with a 12 volt fan. The fan is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Further, while it may be true under some crcumstances, this assumes constant temperature and probably no humidification device at all as evaporation will cause temperature currents. Immediately around the humidifer (on passive units) the air will be cooler simply because some of the heat energy had been used for liberating water into vapor. This alone should be enough to make it sink.

This is easy to test. Put a humidifier in a largely empty humidor, put your humidifier source in the middle and accurate calibrated gauges top and bottom. But, dont expect much of a dirrerence.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
BrianEE93 Wrote:Take a look at Eddie DeJong's article on this titled, "Humid Air, Does It Go Up Or Down".

it doesn't count with an active humidifier with a 12 volt fan. The fan is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Further, while it may be true under some crcumstances, this assumes constant temperature and probably no humidification device at all as evaporation will cause temperature currents. Immediately around the humidifer (on passive units) the air will be cooler simply because some of the heat energy had been used for liberating water into vapor. This alone should be enough to make it sink.

This is easy to test. Put a humidifier in a largely empty humidor, put your humidifier source in the middle and accurate calibrated gauges top and bottom. But, dont expect much of a dirrerence.
I agree that an active humidifier with fan will circulate everywhere. I still think that initially the humidified air around a passive device will tend to rise but will fairly quickly stop because the water vapor will disperse through out the box thus leaving no difference in water vapor concentration.
Just saw this thread - Congrats Mum!
it would be a crime against humanity to keep that beauty hidden in the basement! your woman is wise.

now to fill it up... begin by attaching shopvac to credit card...
got mine today. It's seasoning with a dash of old bay... Looks just like Jame's except I got the glass door. Looks tiny next to the other one, but it should be just what I need to bring sanity into this chaos.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8