Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the hydra
I have all of the CO I got to test. I think 2 Hydra would be WAY to much in that humi. What do you use the XLII in? That is one badass unit. It is spec'd @ 80 frickin cubic feet. The XL is 4 and the XL Plus is 10 cubics.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

tafdom Wrote:I have all of the CO I got to test. I think 2 Hydra would be WAY to much in that humi. What do you use the XLII in? That is one badass unit. It is spec'd @ 80 frickin cubic feet. The XL is 4 and the XL Plus is 10 cubics.
Thanks for the info on the CO's... I didn't know the specs... Now I need to move them around to fit the humi's I am gonna keep.
t- i have a bowl of water in there, that i keep emptying and refilling with hot water. well, not keep, but i do this twice a day, a tactic i learned from the advice of our friend skipper. seems to be doing ok, although the alarm did go off a couple times today, it's not at such a regular interval that you can set your alarm to it. is there any way to turn alarm off? i suppose i could open it up and put a little pot in there to turn it down, but that would probably void my lifetime warranty, so maybe not. maybe i should just leave well enough alone.
scott81425 Wrote:t- i have a bowl of water in there, that i keep emptying and refilling with hot water. well, not keep, but i do this twice a day, a tactic i learned from the advice of our friend skipper. seems to be doing ok, although the alarm did go off a couple times today, it's not at such a regular interval that you can set your alarm to it. is there any way to turn alarm off? i suppose i could open it up and put a little pot in there to turn it down, but that would probably void my lifetime warranty, so maybe not. maybe i should just leave well enough alone

My alarm hasn't gone off at all on the new Hydra.  I only have a wet paper towel in a bag in there with it and the humidity is already at 61%.  My older Hydra was doing it all the time and then it finally stopped and I don't know why... Maybe yours is defective.
As far as what kind of spacers to use...I used two clear plastic ones stacked on top of each other then used the proper length brass screw to attach the fan to the cabnet wall.You need to use at least two spacers to get an air space so the fan can function properly.Works great.
Well I went to Home Depot to scope. I walked the store for 3 hours like normal but forgot my thinking cap. I came out with a 4 X 3/4 brass wood pan head screws. I decided to make my spacers instead of using metal or nylon spacer tubes. I choose a fishtank tubing to cussion and quieten the fan to isolate it from the wood.

Scott, I wouldn't tamper for that reason. Tanks stopped but I will have to call because I have and want to know. It's not the first time. I did modify mine with the polymer gel crystals that do a great job. I RnRd all my green foam with beads in everything. You have done the speedup version and it works too. Some say to wipe it down and others frown from wetting the wood, I agree not to wet it to raise the grain and waterspot the wood.

Tommy, did your alarm go off when new? Maybe not if it just happens during the seasoning. I suspect it is because of the load it's under.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

tafdom Wrote:I have all of the CO I got to test. I think 2 Hydra would be WAY to much in that humi. What do you use the XLII in? That is one badass unit. It is spec'd @ 80 frickin cubic feet. The XL is 4 and the XL Plus is 10 cubics.

T,

I made a mistake on the XLII, it's really an XL Plus... I've seen the XLII, and it is indeed made for the larger cabinet humis.
Thats OK. Happens to me every day. Well all FN day. That big murf will hold a 1/2 Gal of water and last 4 Plus months. The gel beads make it last longer too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

tafdom Wrote:Thats OK. Happens to me every day. Well all FN day. That big murf will hold a 1/2 Gal of water and last 4 Plus months. The gel beads make it last longer too.
OK, so what's with the beads?  Are they better than the foam?  Is it hard to remove?  Do I have to fill the whole thing with beads?
Yes you would need to remove the foam. I used a small steel wire or pen knife to swish it back and fourth until it all broke up. Flushed it with water until it was all clear and clean. Then I mixed the beads and filled the canaster. Took 15 minutes. Think of a tablespoon of beads making 3, 8 ounce cups. Works like a champ and lasts months between fills.