Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what causes cracked wrappers?
scott81425 Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:unraveling or cracking? This is usually caused by 2 different thing. In either case humidity is the cause (as long as you are maintaining a fairly constant temperature and it's somewhere near 70 degrees)

skipper, when they unravel, is it because it's too humid or not humid enough? my room temp has been staying pretty constant, and i've noticed that's pretty much the problem. the wrappers are just unrolling and going nuts. any advice?
Scott, how do your sticks feel at cold.  If they are to dry, they will feel hard.  If properly humidified they should have some spring.
wingo Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:unraveling or cracking? This is usually caused by 2 different thing. In either case humidity is the cause (as long as you are maintaining a fairly constant temperature and it's somewhere near 70 degrees)

skipper, when they unravel, is it because it's too humid or not humid enough? my room temp has been staying pretty constant, and i've noticed that's pretty much the problem. the wrappers are just unrolling and going nuts. any advice?
Scott, how do your sticks feel at cold.  If they are to dry, they will feel hard.  If properly humidified they should have some spring.
they feel ok to me. a little spring, but not "spongey".  i think that's part of the reason this is driving me nuts.
man, smoked a nub tonight that cracked and split to hell. thought maybe it was just bad luck so i lit up a 601 and same damn thing. this is killing it for me. i can't do much to control the heat here, it stays at about 75 during the day. but the rh stays at 69 or so. no real fluctuation. what could be the deal? i used to keep them a little lower in the rh, and never had a problem. is it cuz i upped the rh? did that cause them to swell? i was thinking that the problem was they were too dry, but i don't think that can be it. the seal on my humi is good, i've checked it out pretty well. help!
Scott, are you smoking outside?  Is it dry outside? 
wingo Wrote:Scott, are you smoking outside?  Is it dry outside? 
smoking inside, but i live in colorado, and the climate is very dry. but i'm smoking in the same room i've been smoking in forever, and this wasn't a problem before. however, could my rise in rh in my humidor cause them to come out of my humi a little wetter, and then create this problem? man, i'm so confused... which happens a lot.
scott81425 Wrote:
smoking inside, but i live in colorado, and the climate is very dry. but i'm smoking in the same room i've been smoking in forever, and this wasn't a problem before. however, could my rise in rh in my humidor cause them to come out of my humi a little wetter, and then create this problem? man, i'm so confused... which happens a lot.
I'm not really sure, Scott.   Maybe crank the RH down and see what happens.  They may be overhumidfied.
wingo Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:
I'm not really sure, Scott.   Maybe crank the RH down and see what happens.  They may be overhumidfied.
i think i'll give that a try. i don't know what else to do. its terrible.
scott81425 Wrote:
wingo Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:
i think i'll give that a try. i don't know what else to do. its terrible.
If I'm not mistaken cigars that are over humidified will have the tendency to crack. When the cigar is lit and starts to get hot the moisture will start to evaporate and cause the cigar to swell from the moisture escaping and cause cracks.  I want to say I read that on here but I cant remember. Try dry boxing a cigar fro a day or two and see if it cracks on you.
read this

http://yedda.com/questions/Cigars_wrapper_unravels_smoking_1869192095215/
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:read this

http://yedda.com/questions/Cigars_wrapper_unravels_smoking_1869192095215/

my man skipper! i googled this thing like crazy, and never found that article. that's pretty helpful. what effect does the heat have? i remember a discussion we had before, about the effect heat had, and if i recall, if your hygro reads 70 degrees at a temp warmer than 70, the humidity is actually going to be higher. did i remember that right? thanks again.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"and bailey, i never thought about dry boxing my sticks, but i've heard of it being done. i might give that a whirl too. thanks guys.