Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about beads
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:feel free to use the old beads until thy turn brown (& they will)
funny enough, i just emailed dave about this. as i had a batch that turned brown that i threw out. and he said they're perfectly fine even after they turn colors. they just absorb gas from the cigars, and gradually change colors, but it doesn't affect their effectiveness. he said he has a batch that he uses that's nearly chocolate in color, and works just fine. anyone else have experience with this?
scott81425 Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:feel free to use the old beads until thy turn brown (& they will)
funny enough, i just emailed dave about this. as i had a batch that turned brown that i threw out. and he said they're perfectly fine even after they turn colors. they just absorb gas from the cigars, and gradually change colors, but it doesn't affect their effectiveness. he said he has a batch that he uses that's nearly chocolate in color, and works just fine. anyone else have experience with this?
My first batch is brownish in color.  I still use them.
I can't believe that drying them out quick and then using distilled would hurt anything. I actually would have called the company. Good luck man.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

As I have already bought more beads it would appear I will just need another coolerdor. [pimp] 

When posed with a question .Always choose the route that will get you the most cigars. -BuddhaBill Cigar Zenist

tafdom Wrote:I can't believe that drying them out quick and then using distilled would hurt anything.
T.....that was my thinking too
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
     Another quick question about beads...  

I've been fortunate thus far with my coolidor, in that I've managed to maintain acceptable RH% levels without beads (mine are on order).  Levels have been higher than I'd like (right around the 70% mark), though.  I expect my 65% beads to arrive sometime this week. 

My question: If my coolidor is around 70% when I get my 65% beads, is it necessary to spray the beads with distilled water when putting them in the coolidor - OR - Do I refrain from saturating the beads and simply allow them to absorb the excess moisture in the coolidor to bring the RH% levels to 65%?
experiment Pete. Try putting them in as is and monitor the humidor.

For my money if you are maintaining 70% without the beads I would have been happy as is. Maybe a piece of paper or 2 folded over in the lid seal will allow some breathing will lower your humidity. Coolers are often too air-tight.

[user=879]tafdom[/user] wrote:
Quote:I can't believe that drying them out quick and then using distilled would hurt anything. I actually would have called the company. Good luck man.

I would think that drying them out quickly may cause them to fracture. Beads are silica gel covered in some fragile porous shell. I know that hydrating them too fast or too much can cause them to crack thus rendering them ineffective at holding a particular humidity. I would have used them as is and simply switched over to distilled water until they showed signs of not working (which could have been a year form now). I agree Taf, calling the company would have been best.

Now, that brown stuff. I find that hard to believe. I think it's growth within the shell. Why? Well, because I had some unused beads in a container that turned brown on me. Also a quick shot of a 1% bleach solution clears it up (which I attribute to the mold dying).