Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Wet Shaving
i still continue to enjoy my Merkur Slant
Just received my Dovo straight razor ("Best Quality" 5/8" carbon steel) along with some D.R. Harris and Co. "Marlborough" triple-milled shaving soap, and a Vintage Blades strop. I didn't slice my throat from ear to ear either. Smile It was a really different experience using a straight razor, but highly enjoyable. I will get more of the hang of it after a few more times.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
Nice Mr. Lion.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I'm growing a beard I'll revisit this thread when I look like ZZTOP Smile
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
I'm still using disposable..I do ask for this every year though.. http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-081-00/m...razor.html lol. I think i have a chance this year.
No Justice, No Peace!
Musings of a newbie to classic shaving:
I finally took the big plunge and went 100% classic wet shaving, so I thought I would share a few pictures of what I accumulated.
Shaving gear:
[Image: ShavingGear.jpg]

Dovo 5/8" carbon steel straight razor
[Image: BlackStraightRazor.jpg]

A straight razor my step-father gifted me as a second
[Image: WhiteStraightRazor.jpg]

I have been shaving with the straight razor for just about a month now. The first time I used the straight razor I did pretty well, but quite timid at first. So, I didn't carve up my face, but the shave was not all that close. The second time I used it I became more bold, and my face looked like I was in a cat fight...LOL. I had nicks and cuts everywhere. Now, I am getting as close of a shave (if not closer) as I did with my Gillette Fusion without all the carvings.

Learning to shave with a straight razor is a learning curve, and you will cut yourself learning how to guide the razor across for your face: learning the proper angle of the blade, applying the right pressure, learning how to shave round the tight spaces (mainly under your nose and around the ears), and preparing and treating your face before and after. A styptic pencil is a much, but damn do they sting. It really is a learned art, but it is so much more enjoyable. Using a brush and quality shaving soap is much nicer than the can cream, and I am getting into different after shaves.
Very nice! Impressive blades you have there...
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
(01-08-2012, 02:04 AM)ColbyPants Wrote: Very nice! Impressive blades you have there...

Thank you. Smile I don't know too much about the razor my step-dad gave me other than it was made by the Eagle Cutlery Co. and that it is old. I'll have to look into it. I am enjoying shaving with them.
I had one briefly, but decided it was too much work at the time, though I still use a safety razor & brush w/good cream. I might have to try it again sometime soon...
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Definitely a lot more work, not a quick before work kind of shave, but well worth it. A guy at my lodge uses a safety razor and swears by it. I could use an upgrade on a brush. I have an "Art of Shaving" badger hair brush, but it is is a cheapy...gets the job done.