Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Spots
Every once in a while, I will get a "dead spot" in a cigar.  I will be smoking and all seems fine, then at a certain point, no more smoke.  Looking at the foot of the cigar it seems that there is a spot that is not wanting to stay lit.  Usually you can break it off into the ashtray, re-light, and continue without issues.  Might crack the wrapper while trying to remove the dead spot, but other than that, all is good.

Anyone ever experience this?  What causes it?  It doesn't happen to me often so I wonder if it is a construction issue or a humidor issue.  I keep my humi at 65% and it is pretty constant. 
had this happen earlier today, actually. and it does happen on occasion. i have no idea what causes it. maybe something in the binder? i don't know, but i know exactly what you're talking about.
scott81425 Wrote:had this happen earlier today, actually. and it does happen on occasion. i have no idea what causes it. maybe something in the binder? i don't know, but i know exactly what you're talking about.

+1

Never really pinned it on a certain brand or style, but it does happen to me. Not that often at all, but I've had it happen from time to time....
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
I had one do that once....it had a piece of twine inside...
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
[user=64]Tonto The Long Island Sidekick[/user] wrote:
Quote:I had one do that once....it had a piece of twine inside...

[bravo2][bravo2] Hah, I dont think thats the primary cause.

Ive had it happen as well. Its probably either a more densely packed area or its hit an area of the leaf that doesnt burn well. Maybe a thick vein, not necessarily visible.

Sometimes Ive noticed that the cherry will go in deeper than whats burning on the outside. When thats the case, it goes out because the flame cannot get the oxygen it needs. Once I even out the outside and the inside, all is well in the world again.
I have experienced that too. I've actually remedied the situation by taking my cutter and cutting about half an inch off and starting over with lighting the new foot.

It's got to be a rolling issue. They're just not perfect everytime when they're handmade.

[pirate2]
crowb8 Wrote:I have experienced that too. I've actually remedied the situation by taking my cutter and cutting about half an inch off and starting over with lighting the new foot.

It's got to be a rolling issue. They're just not perfect everytime when they're handmade.

[pirate2]
Doesn't happen often but I do what Dan does.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
The reason for different component tobacco leaves in a blend goes beyond taste. Some leaves are in there primarily for their burning qualities, and the way that they will help other leaves burn.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"If the various leaves are not well-blended together when bunching the cigar, then you might get pockets of leaf that will not burn, since the better burning leaves are not present in sufficient quantity in that spot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Been a while since I learned the various major types of leaf typically used in blending cigar tobacco. Maybe I'll get adventurous tomorrow and look that stuff up for reference here.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!