Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop advice...
Sp we are thinking that we may need a laptop...   with both the wifey and I an in school at the same time, computer time is at a premium.

All we would really need to do is:

1) Wireless internet - (finally I can smoke and SC at the same time!)
2) Office applications - Word and Excel stuff, maybe a little PowerPoint

That's really about it - don't need anything too fancy, but want a solid machine at the same time that is not outrageously expensive.

What do you guys recommend as far as particular brands, models, and/or specs?

Thanks for the help! Smile

See if you can get a discount from Dell since you are in school.  They make really reliable machines.  I would stick to Windows XP.  I was told Vista is fine as long as the computer its running on has a decent processor.  I would also look in to Toshiba Satellites.  I bought one 2 years ago for school and its the same computer I am using today.  They are great and reasonably priced.

-Lucas
I would diffenitly go with Sony Vaio, Dell or any of the new HP models for a laptop. Just from experience and working in the IT field.  Depending on what OS (XP or Vista) your getting will decide on what your min. specs need to be.

Vista - At least 2 gigs of ram, anything above 2.0GHz the for processor (Dual core) which most now will be, Hard drive size just depends on how much stuff you want to save or load on your laptop, (min of 80gigs just to be on the safe side) .  Built in wireless will come on 98% of the new models out right now. As for Office applications with vista, you get a 30 day trial then you have to buy it. $100 - $130 for the cheapest one, thats not a sale price.  With all of that said the specs I listed should keep you from cussing Vista every 5 mins on slowness. By the way Vista isnt so bad. Just takes alot more resources than XP to run.

XP - Before I start on this. No major retail store sells XP anymore, Best Buy, Electric City, etc. Also Dell Inc. stop selling their back stock XP machines at the begining of July. There are some places online that do offer XP, thats just a hit and miss search. Your only other option would be to get XP Disks and reload the Vista machine. If you've never done it, wouldn't recommend it. Takes alot of time and it can be a be PAIN....

Minimum Specs for XP should include : atleast 1 gig of ram, anything above 1.5GHz for processor (Hyperthreaded if you can find it but single core would work too), atleast 80 gig hard drive for plenty of storage. Office apps. came on most of the XP machines.

With the specs listed this should give you a good solid machine. There are alot of deals out there, just remember you get what you pay for.Wink If you have any problems deciding let me know!! I'll be glad to help.
bradleym03 Wrote:I would diffenitly go with Sony Vaio, Dell or any of the new HP models for a laptop. Just from experience and working in the IT field.  Depending on what OS (XP or Vista) your getting will decide on what your min. specs need to be.

Vista - At least 2 gigs of ram, anything above 2.0GHz the for processor (Dual core) which most now will be, Hard drive size just depends on how much stuff you want to save or load on your laptop, (min of 80gigs just to be on the safe side) .  Built in wireless will come on 98% of the new models out right now. As for Office applications with vista, you get a 30 day trial then you have to buy it. $100 - $130 for the cheapest one, thats not a sale price.  With all of that said the specs I listed should keep you from cussing Vista every 5 mins on slowness. By the way Vista isnt so bad. Just takes alot more resources than XP to run.

XP - Before I start on this. No major retail store sells XP anymore, Best Buy, Electric City, etc. Also Dell Inc. stop selling their back stock XP machines at the begining of July. There are some places online that do offer XP, thats just a hit and miss search. Your only other option would be to get XP Disks and reload the Vista machine. If you've never done it, wouldn't recommend it. Takes alot of time and it can be a be PAIN....

Minimum Specs for XP should include : atleast 1 gig of ram, anything above 1.5GHz for processor (Hyperthreaded if you can find it but single core would work too), atleast 80 gig hard drive for plenty of storage. Office apps. came on most of the XP machines.

With the specs listed this should give you a good solid machine. There are alot of deals out there, just remember you get what you pay for.Wink If you have any problems deciding let me know!! I'll be glad to help.

Thanks for the info -- I agree about getting what you pay for!

I have XP here at home and am fine with it, and I think I would be fine with Vista on the laptop since it would be used for fairly narrow purposes.  Now worries about Office, as I own it plus can get a copy for a steep discount through my school district - they have a special purchase program for educators.

I will definitely look at Sony, Dell, and HP - they were on my "watch list" to begin with!  Wink

I appreciate all the info! Smile

I love my IBM. they are more money but are built rock solid. My kids have Dells and I'll take the IBM over them any day..

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
look only at sony if you are looking to pay premium for it. You can do better spending that money and upgrading the memory or getting an extended service plan on the laptop over spending on a name brand like Sony
this HP is a great unit for the money, and worth considering

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-presario-v5000z/4505-3121_7-31727904.html?tag=prod

Also you can get a sony ( for about the same, but i have not heard a lot of good things about them. ) search for
Sony VAIO NR240E/S - Pentium Dual Core T2330 1.6 GHz - 15.4" TFT
Frankly , I 'd go with a Dell , there customer service is rated second overall ,

But most importantly buy the extended warranty on what ever you buy. laptops are more prone to hardware failure than desktops (due to size, parts not being modular, and being dropable) any repair out of the basic warranty will cost at least double the price of the warranty. Trust me I see this all day. As an example the lcd or logic board replacement on an apple is about 700-1,000 , the extended warranty is 250.00

I would get a macbook.
wingo Wrote:I would get a macbook.
I agree its a great product, but it is not in the catagory he is describing. but if he can swing it he will not be disappointed Cool, plus you get access to my great support  !!
I think it is Office depot that had a Toshiba on sale for $400 and then for another $100 you can get MS office for students I think it is which has all the office programs you mentioned . That plus the extended warranty will bring you in at about $700 cant beat that ....