Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aging Nons
madurodave Wrote:
Bluesman455 Wrote:I smoked some aged VSG's that were flat like smoking air.Fresh ones are better with these IMO.
I hope these don't go flat.  How much age, Don?
About 3 years on them,from a friends humidor.Like Bob was saying there is a window in aging SOME cigars that after that point they begin to lose that spiceyness.Really the only smokes I age are the ones that are wet and need a nap to bring out the peak flavor of the tobacco.I like em' strong and spicy and for the most part aging over a period of years will mellow out that flavor profile. So I recommend to...."Smoke em' if you got em'."  If you want mellow,wait for the cello to turn yellow.[rob]

ps. I just made up that last mellow part because it sounded good.[doh][lol]
Bluesman455 Wrote:
madurodave Wrote:
Bluesman455 Wrote:I smoked some aged VSG's that were flat like smoking air.Fresh ones are better with these IMO.
I hope these don't go flat.  How much age, Don?
About 3 years on them,from a friends humidor.Like Bob was saying there is a window in aging SOME cigars that after that point they begin to lose that spiceyness.Really the only smokes I age are the ones that are wet and need a nap to bring out the peak flavor of the tobacco.I like em' strong and spicy and for the most part aging over a period of years will mellow out that flavor profile. So I recommend to...."Smoke em' if you got em'."  If you want mellow,wait for the cello to turn yellow.[rob]

ps. I just made up that last mellow part because it sounded good.[doh][lol]

Makes perfect sense.  mellow...yellow...cello, got itBig Grin

I have some nic puros that need to mellow some.  Excited to find out as I have always leaned toward napping the habanos.  I am starting to get a lot more domestics.  Better get to smokin some of these!

Having smoked a good amount of VSG's with 5 Plus years on them I would have to say these can probably stand up to alot more ageing! But you cannot expect them to taste the same as they do fresh. A week or two back I smoked a VSG Enchantment from early 2004. Normaly I consider this one of the stronger VSG's in the line and with 4 years of down time this cigar was a completly diffrent smoke. It had lost its pepperyness but retained its spice notes(like spice cabinet spices,not peppery hot spice). The leather was still there and the cigars smoke was still full bodied! The strenth had mellowed from what it once was and IMO the cigar became more complex and the flavors more pronounced. IMO I think the VSG line of cigars can handle at least 10 years of age before they go down hill! Just dont expect them to have the strenth and pepper associated with fresh or young VSG's.