Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap Humi
Hello and hope that someone has some good advice for me. I purchased a cheap $25 50 stick humi from JR's cigar outlet here in NC and the humidity will fluxuate. i have it sitting in the same place in the house and have seasoned it like a person should. Temp is not a problem. i will get the humidity up to about 73% and then in a few days it is down around 50%. i have those gel sticks that is supposed to keep your sticks at around 70%. Today i went to get my Rockey Patel 1990 topedo and the head was cracked. ALL OTHERS ARE FINE! Thank God that it was the part that needed to be cut. Any help would be Great.

Thanks, AC  
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

Add Beads.  Problem solved.
Use the dollar bill test to check the seal.  Stick a folded bill in the seam where the lid shuts, shut the lid and gently pull the bill.  If the bill slides out you don't have a good seal so that could be the reason your humidity is fluctuating.  An indication of a good seal is when you pull on the dollar bill, it doesn't pull out; with a very good seal you would be able to pull the humidor (if it is empty) with the dollar bill.

My first humi did the same thing, it would not rise above 50%.  It was a cheap one from an online retailer.  I got the same humidor for free with a purchase about a year ago.  My guess is they mass produce these things which cheapens the quality and use them as incentives by advertising them as "free gifts with purchase" deals.

-Lucas

Thanks for th info! I had never hear about the bill trick, course i'm still somewhat of a novous. I have only been smoking for a little while and still have alot to learn.

Thanks, AC 
Theodore Roosevelt

Look around the site and you will find most people here use the heartfelt beads.  I know I do!  Those gel things were the worst thing I tried for humidification.   The biggest thing you need to know is use distilled water ONLY!!!  If you use tap water you will have a small mushroom farm in the near future.  
Hey Thanks for this info. By the way, i think that i may need to clearify what i was referring to when i stated gel stickes. these gel tubs are from http://www.altadisusa.com/accy/hadrymst.asp. I purchased them from JR's Cigar store in NC and they stated that they were about the best thing that was out for humidifying the humi. i took their word and have been using them for several months. i went back today and was talking to the "senior" tobacconist and he stated that if i did not have enough sticks in the humi that i would have a hard time keeping the humidity were it needed to be ( is this true?). my humi is a 50 stick one and i currently only have about 18 in there. ( Got to wait on payday friday to restock). i guess that i smoke them quiker than i can by them.

Anyhow i will get on the hearfelt bead site and check them out. Thanks again!

AC
Theodore Roosevelt

Yes having cigars in there helps to stabalize the humidity a little bit.  If you want a quick, cheap way to fill up your humi buy some bundles.  There are a few quality bundles out there for $25-$50.  One of my favorites is the Rocky Patel Factory Select.  I also like Flor de Oliva.  Check out famous-smoke.com and also JR's, I just bought a bundle from them, great service and prices.  Remeber, just because they are cheap does not mean they aren't good smokes.

-Lucas