Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank's Hunt Part 3

Well this is where the weather got crazy.  By Day 3 we had daytime temps in the mid 90's and overnight temps in the 40's.  And the 50 degree temp change would happen in 3 hours or so.  This made the deer move and we were ready.

My brother and I sat patiently in the morning cold and watched an abundance of wildlife.  I really could not take pictures as the mornings were so still and the camera seemed to make a ton of noise.  And mule deer have outstanding hearing.

By mid morning the temps rose and so did the winds.  After strategically sitting on high buttes in ambush, we also used the high grounds to glass bedding mule deer up to 2 miles away.  This way we could use the afternoons to spot and stalk.

So on this afternoon after lunch, I took some time to readjust a few things on my bow.......................

[Image: IMG_0742.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0743.jpg]

Yes that is a cigar in my mouth.  An Oliva Master Blends.  And I know some of you hunter's are say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But hey, the temps were 96 degrees, we stunk anyways.  And the 30 mph winds were constant.  One needed to hunt with his face in the wind at all times, anything downwind would smell our stinky armpits regardless,  so I took the time to enjoy a good cigar.

Here is some various land that we did some spot and stalk.  Don't let the wide openness fool you.  There is thick cover hidden away out of sight from the high ground that we are on.  Many creek beds and sage fields offering really too much cover. 

And the fields of trees go on for up to half a mile or more at at time.

[Image: IMG_0767.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0760.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0765.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0770-1.jpg]

We glassed some mulies here in the morning.  By late afternoon we went to get them.  We missed.  But it was a picture perfect stalk and ambush........................

[Image: IMG_0748.jpg]

We still did not give up on the antelope

[Image: 0908Hunting044.jpg]

[Image: 0908Hunting040.jpg]

But their rut was just starting and they had not broken up into smaller groups as of yet.

Then we stumbled upon this rattlesnake den and found about 14 of the buggers......................

This is the picture afterwards as we did not have our camera at the time.  When we went back we only found a couple left over.........................

[Image: 0908Hunting082.jpg]

[Image: 0908Hunting080.jpg]

We killed them off per the rancher's request as his dog and horse got tagged a few weeks ago.  Both lived.  We even managed to capture one just for fun..................

[Image: 0908Buchholtz143.jpg]

I thought that this would make a great picture......................Grouse

[Image: 0908Hunting074.jpg]

More to come.............................
Great pics Tank, love to see the different terrain from the backwoods I have here.  Our season just started on the 15th here and I have only been twice but its been pretty slow (a few yearlings and a little 4 pt.).  Good luck and keep the pics coming!
I love these pics

and that last oneConfusedhock:[lol]

Who said Animals aren't smart...hahahahaha
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Beautiful country Tank! Thanks for the pics!! Smile
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
    Really enjoying ALL the pics, Tank... but the pic of the grouse is exceptional.  I have NEVER seen a grouse in the wild, but I have HEARD them plenty of times.  Anyone who doesn't know, grouse are pretty elusive.   They SEE you, but you'll only HEAR them.... and when you do hear them, it scares the sh!t out of you!   It's like someone snuck up behind you and started up a motorcycle, seriously.  By the time you get your wits about you and figure out where the noise is coming from... they're gone.
Pete Wrote:    Really enjoying ALL the pics, Tank... but the pic of the grouse is exceptional.  I have NEVER seen a grouse in the wild, but I have HEARD them plenty of times.  Anyone who doesn't know, grouse are pretty elusive.   They SEE you, but you'll only HEAR them.... and when you do hear them, it scares the sh!t out of you!   It's like someone snuck up behind you and started up a motorcycle, seriously.  By the time you get your wits about you and figure out where the noise is coming from... they're gone.

Get the dog's onto them and when the flutter your stomach jumps.  My little bro and I were crawling under a barbed wire fence.  Just as we crossed under the grouse got up from us about 8 feet away and I must say it really increases your heart rate.

Great eating also.  The fellas at the ND Herf will get to see a lot of these about.
Each pic is better then the last. niceeeeeeee
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
US_Tank Wrote:
Pete Wrote:    Really enjoying ALL the pics, Tank... but the pic of the grouse is exceptional.  I have NEVER seen a grouse in the wild, but I have HEARD them plenty of times.  Anyone who doesn't know, grouse are pretty elusive.   They SEE you, but you'll only HEAR them.... and when you do hear them, it scares the sh!t out of you!   It's like someone snuck up behind you and started up a motorcycle, seriously.  By the time you get your wits about you and figure out where the noise is coming from... they're gone.

Get the dog's onto them and when the flutter your stomach jumps.  My little bro and I were crawling under a barbed wire fence.  Just as we crossed under the grouse got up from us about 8 feet away and I must say it really increases your heart rate.

Great eating also.  The fellas at the ND Herf will get to see a lot of these about.
Can't wait Tank, great freaking pictures, so beautiful and peaceful
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.