Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Expectations
I dont know about the rest of you, but when i first started smoking about 7 months ago i was given alot of options (everything from A to T). the first smoke that i was offered was a CAO Gold Maduro and i was looking for a life altering experiance. Needless to say (at the time) i was let down. i had not worked my way up the scale of fine smokes.

Well as my taste has developed i can see why i was disapointed and for good reason due to the strength. Now that i have grown up a little in the cigar world i enjoy a CAO every once and a while.

Here is where the kicker comes into play.

I bought a few (5) Romeo y Julietta Vintage III sticks the other day(cause i had heard so much about the RyJ and my mouth was actualy watering) and the very first one i had i was not impressed at all. I had another and a few days later and still the same. I got to analizing the differnet taste and found that each time that i had one, it was a sweet, cream and coco taste with very little bite. I think i have 3 more and cant bring myself to suffer through the smoke even though i paid about $3 a stick. I think that my taste has developed to the level of a Punch or Siant Luis Rey. A smooth more pepperie and enjoyable smoke.

Was i in the wrong for getting my hopes up so high and then they came crashing down? Or should i get excited about a new smoke that i have not tried? Should i go into a new smoke with an attitude of WHAT ARE YOU HIDING under that beautiful skin of yours as i light it up? I think that as i read the commintaries of the various smokes i will always keep in mind that Most of the commintary that is out there is the companies that are trying to sell the product

What do ya"ll think and What should I do with these smokes (RyJ Vintage III) that i cant stand? Right now they are taking up room that could be occupied by some other fine smokes.

Thanks and have Great Smoke!!

AC[cigar]
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

Was there some thing you found offensive about the RyJs or was it just that you didn’t care for the flavor profile or that they just were not strong enough for you? I have never had these smokes but the flavors you have described sound pretty good to me. To me smoking cigars is not about building up a (for lack of a better term) tolerance so I can smoke stronger or more flavor full cigars. I enjoy each smoke for what it has to offer. Though I can smoke some of the stronger and spicy cigars and enjoy them I also enjoy mild and medium cigars if they have good flavor to offer. Often I find it easer to enjoy the more subtle flavors of a cigar if they are not masked by strong spice. I am curious know what it was that makes you say you cant stand these smokes.  I don't know if any of this help but I hope it dose...lol
It is possible to build your hopes up for a great cigar & then be dissapointed. Its happened to me & others. Sometimes paying a higher price for a certain cigar can do it. But a higher price does not always mean a better cigar. Sometimes it can just be the hype, that everyone says this cigar is great, so it must be.

Your tastes will continue to change & you may find yourself later going back to those other cigars & enjoying them.  Or you could keep them for a friend or buddy (who smokes maybe 1 or 2 cigars a year) so that you don't waste a cigar on him that he couldn't handle.

Just wait until you come across a "lower priced" cigar that blows you away, a cigar that you don't have any high expectations of.

Have you tried any LFDs or Litto?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Good_Stogies_Mon Wrote:Was there some thing you found offensive about the RyJs or was it just that you didn’t care for the flavor profile or that they just were not strong enough for you? I have never had these smokes but the flavors you have described sound pretty good to me. To me smoking cigars is not about building up a (for lack of a better term) tolerance so I can smoke stronger or more flavor full cigars. I enjoy each smoke for what it has to offer. Though I can smoke some of the stronger and spicy cigars and enjoy them I also enjoy mild and medium cigars if they have good flavor to offer. Often I find it easer to enjoy the more subtle flavors of a cigar if they are not masked by strong spice. I am curious know what it was that makes you say you cant stand these smokes.  I don't know if any of this help but I hope it dose...lol

Hey Man, I guess that it was the mild nature of the RyJ vintage III that threw me for a loop. I had an RyJ RES and it was a pretty good smoke esp since it was free. I guess that i'll keep the three vintage III that i have and let them sit in the humi for a while and go back to it at a later time. As it has been stated by others, My taste will change.

Thanks,

AC 
Theodore Roosevelt

Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:It is possible to build your hopes up for a great cigar & then be dissapointed. Its happened to me & others. Sometimes paying a higher price for a certain cigar can do it. But a higher price does not always mean a better cigar. Sometimes it can just be the hype, that everyone says this cigar is great, so it must be.

Your tastes will continue to change & you may find yourself later going back to those other cigars & enjoying them.  Or you could keep them for a friend or buddy (who smokes maybe 1 or 2 cigars a year) so that you don't waste a cigar on him that he couldn't handle.

Just wait until you come across a "lower priced" cigar that blows you away, a cigar that you don't have any high expectations of.

Have you tried any LFDs or Litto?
Hey Tonto! I appreciate that you took the time to respond and to let you know that i have not tried the LFD's ot the Litto. I have come across a house brand that is honduran with a spicey nutty taste that i enjoy and the price is about the same as a little less than the RyJ's that i had spoke about. the only drawbcak is the cap is so small that you cant cut it, it has to be punched. This is the JR Ultimate maduro maduro toro and i smoke this on a daily basis, But the Punch Grand Cru i find to be at the top of my list. The Punches that i got was at half price due to a special that the local store was having. they still carry them at the price that i bought them, but when this shipment is gone the price goes back up to full $6.00 a piece.

Thanks again from a novous to all that help me with the knowledge that they have from years of smoking great cigars!

AC[cigar]

Theodore Roosevelt

Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:It is possible to build your hopes up for a great cigar & then be dissapointed. Its happened to me & others. Sometimes paying a higher price for a certain cigar can do it. But a higher price does not always mean a better cigar. Sometimes it can just be the hype, that everyone says this cigar is great, so it must be.
I didn't even think of this but Tanto is spot on. I don't know how many times I have
heard how great a cigar that I have not yet tried is only to be let down by an average
smoke when I get the chance to give it a go.
The more you smoke the more you will  know your palate ands what type of stogies will make your mouth water. It takes time. Some body might like a cigar but if you don't have the same taste as that person then you night not like it.

In the mean time send those stogies to Tommy2Guns.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:The more you smoke the more you will  know your palate ands what type of stogies will make your mouth water. It takes time. Some body might like a cigar but if you don't have the same taste as that person then you night not like it.

In the mean time send those stogies to Tommy2Guns.

that's exactly what I was just thinking...You're going to find several people who will have similar tastes as yours & then you're more likely to like the same smokes that they like! (But not always Tongue)

And Yeah..."Kicking the Pug"...(Tommy2Guns) is the national sport of StogieChat!!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Thanks Guys!

I appreciate that ya'll took the time to look this over. i think that i'll hang onto them for a little while and check back with one of them in about a month or so.

Have a Great Smoke!

AC
Theodore Roosevelt

Tonto's advice is sound. There are many, many people who prefer a milder cigar. Save those Romeo & Julietas for a good friend who says that he would prefer something light and creamy, etc. That will make a classy gift for someone who will actually appreciate it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"No sense suffering through something you know you won't enjoy. Smoke what you like, and don't smoke what you don't.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!