Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops! Humidor Help
vonDrehle Wrote:Alright thanks all.  I'm heading home and go by a JR on the way home so I will stop there and if they don't have everything I need I will order it online.

And just to clarify with the steamed distilled water do I head it up in a cup and then just sit the cup in the humidor and shut the lid?

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, empty the humidor, microwave the distilled water and close the lid.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:If that is mold in that humidifier....you'll need to "clean" the inside of the humidor itself.

Skipper has a method to this, I'll see if I can find it.
Take a look at this thread.... http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=11391&forum_id=6&highlight=bleach
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
vonDrehle Wrote:Alright thanks all.  I'm heading home and go by a JR on the way home so I will stop there and if they don't have everything I need I will order it online.

And just to clarify with the steamed distilled water do I head it up in a cup and then just sit the cup in the humidor and shut the lid?

Thanks,
Chris
yes, just close it in there. it will help to season the wood. don't buy pg solution at a shop though, make your own. stop by wal greens or rite aid, pick up a huge bottle of propylene glycol for about 7 bucks, a gallon of distilled water for a buck or less, and mix half and half.
when using the hot water in a cup method to season a humidor you can use tap water. The cup of water will be disposed of later so no biggie. As for that mold, man, you have mold spores all over everything. Watch your humidity. Ensure it never goes above 70%. Watch the heat too. It should not go above 80 (with 75 being a better ceiling) and every so often open it up and let in some light (mold hates light). Throw out that humidifier. It cannot be salvaged. Get the beads or whatever you prefer. MAKE SURE YOU NEVER EVER USE ANY TAP WATER IN A HUMIDIFIER!!!! There is too much life in tap water which will grow beyond belief in your humidor.

Clean out the humidor with a damp rag soaked with a 2% bleach solution, allow to dry with the lid open and in light for over 3 days. Then re season it.

Take all of your cigars and wipe the ones in the cello down. Those without cello, use a soft paint brush to get into the pores and brush them off OUTSIDE!

Dispose of any cigars with evidence of mold or, if you feel courageous, smoke it (but it will taste like the south end of a north bound horse). Just dont let that cigar beck near the others!
make sure you remove that divider and treat the foam at the ends similarly... Also the hygrometer. Any place where 2 objects meet is an ideal place for mold. Especially if it isn't cedar on cedar (such as beneath your gauge, humidifier and around that divider).
scott81425 Wrote:

Thanks,
Chris
yes, just close it in there. it will help to season the wood. don't buy pg solution at a shop though, make your own. stop by wal greens or rite aid, pick up a huge bottle of propylene glycol for about 7 bucks, a gallon of distilled water for a buck or less, and mix half and half.
If you use beads, use plain distilled water. In the winter I always use plain distilled water as the PG slows the rate of evaporation. I use the 50/50 in the summer months.