Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Underdeveloped Palatte Review : Victor Sinclair 10th Anniversario & Triple Corojo
Again with the disclaimer, I have an underdeveloped palatte, perhaps even a genetic lack of tastebuds.  My first six months of cigars would have had reviews like "tasted like a cigar"  I've only recently begun to appreciate the differences in various scotch, cigars, and bourbons.  I've always been able to differentiate between scotch AND bourbon, so all is not lost.  Wink  My hope is that others who can't tell the difference between a cigar with oak nuance vs. cigar with cedar nuance will benefit.

Victor Sinclair 10th Anniversario Toro:
In all honesty I should have let this cigar rest more.  Its been in my vinotemp a grand total of three days, but i've been looking forward to trying it, based on its description.  It looked a little leafy, with some veins, but my experience with the triple corojo (below) left me hopeful.  It cut cleanly, and had little prelight flavor other than tobacco.  It opened up upon lighting with a pepper, that reminded me of a Pepin blend, that lasted about an inch. My drink of choice with this was a Dalmore Cigar Malt (which is both reasonably priced and delicious. I'm sad to see it discontinued).  It settled down into a woody flavor until about the halfway point.  After that, I felt it became a little bland, and took on the flavor of a lot of the other cheaper, dollar sticks out there.  I wish it would have stayed woody, or perhaps picked up a little of the pepper for a finisher.  I'm hopeful more time in the humi will bring that out.  For $40, i'd pick up a box and let them rest if the others turn out better.

Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo Toro:
A little more rested than the 10th anniversario, I've had about three of these.  Leather.  Leather, leather, leather.  I had trouble believing any review that said "leather" until I smoked one of these.  Not spicy like i anticipated, just a consistent strong leather.  I rather enjoyed it, and it never took on the dollar cigar flavor that i experienced with the 10th Anni.  I picked up a couple more on Cbid as part of the Victor Sinclair sampler.

Conneticut Yankee and Reserva reviews to follow in the coming days  Smile
Quote:
nice review!  very accessible.[thumbsup]
Nice review....I'll be looking forward to the others
Gold Club Member: ARC     ....   "not even close" - Jonas Grumby
[Image: schat2_zps32fzqtp2.jpg]
Order of the Javelin       If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Funny how you couch the title of your review, "The Undeveloped Palette Review..." Big Grin Good review on a couple of sticks, and it seems like you're beginning to pick out the dominant flavors. Your nose and palette will refine much more as you continue to smoke and concentrate.

Sometimes reading descriptions or other reviews on a widely-reviewed stick can help you to pick out flavors that are well documented in that cigar. That can help you to "train" your palette on how to recognize these elements again. In that way, something as subjective as taste begins to shift into the objective realm.

Nice start, and keep smoking! We all like to read reviews, don't we? Nice job.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote:Funny how you couch the title of your review, "The Undeveloped Palette Review..." Big Grin Good review on a couple of sticks, and it seems like you're beginning to pick out the dominant flavors. Your nose and palette will refine much more as you continue to smoke and concentrate.

Sometimes reading descriptions or other reviews on a widely-reviewed stick can help you to pick out flavors that are well documented in that cigar. That can help you to "train" your palette on how to recognize these elements again. In that way, something as subjective as taste begins to shift into the objective realm.

Nice start, and keep smoking! [color="red"]We all like to read reviews, don't we?[/color] Nice job.
Yes we do!  Nice review - I have not tried anything from Victor Sinclair yet.