Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help-I need a good humidor! 150-200 stick humidor or larger if I must!
OK, I am not new to stogies but am no rich guy who can afford a 2K chest or piece of furniture. I do need a new humidor, a nice one but not a signature piece. I just cant afford it.

I tend to smoke Rocky patel, AVOs, ect and not real high dollar stogies. I want to keep 150-200 stogies around and I also buy a couple of brands of cheapo for those bitches ( guys who say they want a cigar who always hang with the women in the kitchen) who take two puffs and leave your 10 buck cigar sitting on some abandoned ashtray. So maybe even a 200-300 humidor.

Can I get something for 200 or so that decent.

I dont mind something that has a nick in it.

Here is my deal. I build hotrods on the side, I work with and paint metal, cars, gas pumps, coke machines, ect.

Can I turn a coke ice chest coke machine into a humidor????? This is a pretty old school 50s or maybe WWII era 40s old school ice chest.

If so, whats the process, line it with cedar, ect. Its a constant colder mild climate when not plugged in as it never is. It would make a very cool humidor if I kniew what I needed to do to make it one.  I still need the other for inside the home, the coke machine idea would be for the shop.

RUMBLON

This might help in turning the Coke machine into a humidor... http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=5895&forum_id=6
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Build yourself a coolerdor.  Just buy a large sealing cooler (got mine at Walmart), get some RH beads and a digital hygrometer and you are in business.  I use shelves out of a p.o.s. Thompson humidor (I bought before I knew better...) to stack the smokes up without messing them up. You can get trays too that would be just as good or better.  There is a ton of things you can do with the cooler to make it like you want it.  Just my 2 cents...
Mark71GTX Wrote:Build yourself a coolerdor.  Just buy a large sealing cooler (got mine at Walmart), get some RH beads and a digital hygrometer and you are in business.  I use shelves out of a p.o.s. Thompson humidor (I bought before I knew better...) to stack the smokes up without messing them up. You can get trays too that would be just as good or better.  There is a ton of things you can do with the cooler to make it like you want it.  Just my 2 cents...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Well, I have the coke machines and gas pumps already. I also have some old cigar boxes.  I am heading out to take some pics of the coke machine I am using as I have decided to use a different one thats in my shop. These look great when painted and refinished. I build hotrods on the side and have everything, including a home paint booth of sorts, so that the easy part. I almost wish the COKE was not embalsed into it, so I could find a way to embolse some cigar stuff or names into it. You would be amased at what you can do with a plasma cutter and welder![thumbsup]

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"I looked at it and think it will be fine except for the seal on top that I will have to work with.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"My main issue is finidng the glue and spanish cedar to cover the inside with. I found a few cigar boxes and I guess I can simply cut them down and use them, especially the AVO boxes which seem pretty good.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"I am going to do at least one of these and maybe a second one out of an upright machine if I can make it work ok.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f" 

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"RUMBLON
I strongly suggest you just get a cooler.  I would not feel comfortable using the coke machine - or anything else that is metal.  You are begging for mold.  You know more than most that metal sweats - those old machines are probably holding mold spores in those pores somewhere.  The machines are cool as hell - it is a cool idea - but get a cooler...  Put the cooler in the coke machine - that would be a cool storage unit for it.  Not trying to be a buzz kill, but I just don't think using anything metal is a good idea.
Mark71GTX Wrote:I strongly suggest you just get a cooler.  I would not feel comfortable using the coke machine - or anything else that is metal.  You are begging for mold.  You know more than most that metal sweats - those old machines are probably holding mold spores in those pores somewhere.  The machines are cool as hell - it is a cool idea - but get a cooler...  Put the cooler in the coke machine - that would be a cool storage unit for it.  Not trying to be a buzz kill, but I just don't think using anything metal is a good idea.

Mark I understand your concern. I can guarantee that there are no mold spores in this chest. The climate here is so dry that I have pulled cars that are routinely covered in snow for 4 months out of yards after chasing them for 10 plus years and there is not even any rust. I know its hard to believe but that why the east coast and midwest guys love the sheet metal here.

The chest will be cleaned thuroughly and I may even coat the inside with something prior to covering it with cedar or spanish cedar. I may even shoot it with a non toxic sealer first.  And this will house mostly boxes. I am thinking of getting a Vinofrige or what ever they are called for behind the bar.

RUMBLON