Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Heat, Problems stabilizing Humidity
davidwys Wrote:i have the same problem.

As weird as it sounds, i take my cigars in the bathroom in the morning, open the lid, and take a nice long shower.

When Im done, the humidity is a bit high (85%) but I close the lid and within a couple hours its back down and it seems to settle around 66%. My cigars are great!

The wrappers tend to get a little wrinkley at first, but that soon goes away.

It may not be as easy for those with large humis, but for my little one, it is wonderful!
Dave, does your girlfriend agree?Tongue
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:

As weird as it sounds, i take my cigars in the bathroom in the morning, open the lid, and take a nice long shower.

When Im done, the humidity is a bit high (85%) but I close the lid and within a couple hours its back down and it seems to settle around 66%. My cigars are great!

It may not be as easy for those with large humis, but for my little one, it is wonderful!
[lol]
doubled Wrote:
Hunlock Wrote:Thanks for the tips guys...

[user=380]scott81425[/user] wrote:
Quote:what do you use for humidification?
Well, I have a small humidor, and use the foam stuff that came with it....Bad idea?
Not totally a bad idea but I'd recommend along with a few others I'm sure on picking up some humidity beads. Not only do they put out humidity but they also absorb it if there is too much present. I was always a fan of Heartfelts.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14
I thought about them.....I only have a 50ct humi...Do I just fill the black disc with them? Sorry, but I am new to anything but the foam stuff...
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
[user=569]Jimmie the Mum[/user] wrote:
Quote:

haha, she hasnt found out yetWink when she does shes gonna give that look and say something along the lines of, "Ugh, you and your stupid cigars"

Ive gotten that one a lot...
funny jimbo...

hunlock, this is a common problem. Even without the dry heat, winter air just doesn't have much humidity.

Try getting a humidifier for the room. Or at the very least, run a vaporizer for a few hours each evening (use the steam variety, I dont like the atomizer type-too much bacteria).

In the humidor, it's time to save some money. use plain distilled water, not the solution. Adding PG to water retards its evaporation rate. You want max-evap this time of year.

Finally, you may have to add more humidification. When I was desperate, I would simply wet a paper towel and place it inside of a small plastic bag left open. Throw this out after a few days and replace it.

Remember, do not open the lid if it can be avoided. More than likely your room is around 30% RH, your humidor may be at 60. Opening the lid can cause wild massive drops in the humidity that can take days to recover.

but... 60-65 is just fine. I wouldn't sweat it. Bottom line, how are the cigars smoking?

Mine was doing this also. It would always settle at around 60. I added a drymistat tube. Same thing. So I added one of the little cups with the beads. Same thing. And the strange thing is that neigher the drymistat or the beads seem to lose any moisture. So I started wondering about my hydrometer. I wrapped it in a wet towel and I could only get the needle to go up to 90. Right now I'm operating on the premise that it is off. As soon as I can get a digital hydrometer I'm gonna replace it.

My walk in humidor was running low 60s and money was a situation for me so i put a vics humidifier around the outside not inside of the humidor. After a couple of hours it was back up.

Indio Seegar Wrote:My walk in humidor was running low 60s and money was a situation for me so i put a vics humidifier around the outside not inside of the humidor. After a couple of hours it was back up.

those steam vaporizers work real well and are actually good for you too.

Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:funny jimbo...

hunlock, this is a common problem. Even without the dry heat, winter air just doesn't have much humidity.

Try getting a humidifier for the room. Or at the very least, run a vaporizer for a few hours each evening (use the steam variety, I dont like the atomizer type-too much bacteria).

In the humidor, it's time to save some money. use plain distilled water, not the solution. Adding PG to water retards its evaporation rate. You want max-evap this time of year.

Finally, you may have to add more humidification. When I was desperate, I would simply wet a paper towel and place it inside of a small plastic bag left open. Throw this out after a few days and replace it.

Remember, do not open the lid if it can be avoided. More than likely your room is around 30% RH, your humidor may be at 60. Opening the lid can cause wild massive drops in the humidity that can take days to recover.

but... 60-65 is just fine. I wouldn't sweat it. Bottom line, how are the cigars smoking?

Thanks for the tips Skipper. I'll be sure to try them out ASAP...As for the sticks...I really hav not noticed that much of a difference. I was more concerned about the constant change of RH......This makes me feel better.

Thanks.!
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Great advice here Tim [thumbsup]  I am no expert by any means and since I am not working have spent hours and hours reading about this crazy addiction.

RH is certainly an issue.  Some people say they keep their smokes from 60-70% and do just fine.  I have also read some sticks smoke better when stored at lower RH levels than the target 70%.  Seems the 70% number is what would be considered the target and what is published so that is what everyone shoots for.

I keep mine around 65-70% here and have never had a problem.  I think sometimes certain sticks don't smoke as well as they seem damper than others so am still experimenting.

Here is some food for thought, you might consider re-seasoning your humi.  Depending on how well this was done the first time maybe the interior could use some more moisture.  Might consider it. 

Do you keep your humi full?, of course you do, you are a member of SC [lol] That also makes a difference.  If you need some help with adding some sticks let me know Wink

Peace