Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reviving cigars
I re-arranged the boxes on the bottom and took five boxes in total from the top and bottom out. I know have loose cigars on the top and still about 10 - 15 boxes on the bottom. This has improved circulation through the large unit. Picked up a few new humi-gels, some white beads and a new Oasis refill back. The old one is about three years old, so that may be the reason why it ain't working well. The temps in both are around 60 - 62. Humidity around 32%. Only using that 70 degree stuff no other chemicals or water. Yet, I never can get to 70. Geez, I have all the luck.
You have to bring these cigars back slowly. First thing concentrate on the temperature. Then the humidity. Regarding the humidity, if it's that low, try to bring it back to something just above 50% and keep it there for 5 days or so. Then aim for 60%. Another 5 days later bring it to your preferred target humidity. Then wait. At least 2 weeks. I am working on the premise that the cigars have not actually dried out that much. If they were in a sub 50% humidity environment for over a year then I'd say leave them for 6 to 8 weeks. But you say they smoke ok, so I think the final wait should be 2 weeks or so.

On a side note, in the winter I use plain water. That "70% stuff" actually is designed to evaporate more slowly that plain water. It's great for the summer. In the winter you need rapid evaporation. Plain distilled water.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:You have to bring these cigars back slowly. First thing concentrate on the temperature. Then the humidity. Regarding the humidity, if it's that low, try to bring it back to something just above 50% and keep it there for 5 days or so. Then aim for 60%. Another 5 days later bring it to your preferred target humidity. Then wait. At least 2 weeks. I am working on the premise that the cigars have not actually dried out that much. If they were in a sub 50% humidity environment for over a year then I'd say leave them for 6 to 8 weeks. But you say they smoke ok, so I think the final wait should be 2 weeks or so.

On a side note, in the winter I use plain water. That "70% stuff" actually is designed to evaporate more slowly that plain water. It's great for the summer. In the winter you need rapid evaporation. Plain distilled water.
Great post!
I'm constantly fighting humidity in the winter but never anything like you got there.