Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first time smoker
goodfellamatt78 Wrote:I started cheap with Gispert. I still keep one around for old times sake.
I found those to be actually pretty good for a mild smoke.  I still have one in my humi with at least 2 years of age on it.  haha

My first cigar was a Fuente Chateau Fuente sun grown. 
Might be a big strong for first cigar though.
Smile
denali7432 Wrote:was wondering why do you say to stay away from acid's and Gurkhas? bad experiences?

I think all of the Acids and some of the Gurkhas are infused with some kind of flavors. For me, that takes away from tobacco and I don't like it. Also, they can ruin a whole humidor full of cigars if you put them in with your other cigars.

In their favor, they probably make good chick sticks.

crowb8 Wrote:
denali7432 Wrote:was wondering why do you say to stay away from acid's and Gurkhas? bad experiences?

I think all of the Acids and some of the Gurkhas are infused with some kind of flavors. For me, that takes away from tobacco and I don't like it. Also, they can ruin a whole humidor full of cigars if you put them in with your other cigars.

Yes, I think Drew Estate has only ONE cigar that is not flavored. 

But if you like flavored or not is totally a personal preference.  I've tried them, and enjoyed a few for a time.  Now I won't go near them.

I don't think the Gurkhas are flavored, except for one or two.   I think people generally say to stay away from them is because they tend to be a bit over priced, and quite a few people don't enjoy them.
I enjoy quite a few Gurkhas though.  [smokin2]
Djaric Wrote:
crowb8 Wrote:

Yes, I think Drew Estate has only ONE cigar that is not flavored. 

But if you like flavored or not is totally a personal preference.  I've tried them, and enjoyed a few for a time.  Now I won't go near them.

I don't think the Gurkhas are flavored, except for one or two.   I think people generally say to stay away from them is because they tend to be a bit over priced, and quite a few people don't enjoy them.
I enjoy quite a few Gurkhas though.  [smokin2]
Drew Estates' only non-flavored cigar is the Chateau Real. Santa brought me a couple of these this past Christmas and are still resting in my humidor. In a different place with its own humidipak, far from other cigars is this flavored Gurkha I pick up by mistake in Tampa last October. It kind of turned me off to the whole line because there is no indication on the packaging or labeling that it is a flavored cigar. I stripped it naked and put it in my humidor when I got it. Luckily, the next day I went back into my humidor and the whole thing smelled like whatever it is the cigar is injected with that someone, somewhere thought would make the cigar taste better. Well, I disagree.  I felt tricked by the labeling and lucky to have opened my humidor in time to save it and all the cigars in it from being ruined. At least Acid is up front and advertises that fact that the cigar is infused. Tobacconists keep them away from great cigars.

Attached Files Image(s)

crowb8 Wrote:

All good advice and yes don't waste your money on the above.

Also, give Eric (the admin of this site) a call (TBS cigars). He'll set you up with some samplers.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
From the samplers you mentioned, I would go for the Oliva and CAO first.  Lots of people love Rocky Patel - I do not, but I would suggest you try them as well since they are a favorite of so many.  Stay away from the Gurkha's - they are not as good as most "mainstream" cigars and they cost over twice as much in many cases.  Acid cigars smell and taste like insence.  They are not very good at all in my opinion - most here agree.  Drew Estates does make good flavored cigars (excluding the Acid line of course...) I like an Isla Del Sol every now and again...  The Pepin sticks are good, but may be a bit over the top in strength for a new smoker. 
i understand what you guys say when you say its flavored..because i used to smoke hookahs and every tobacco of theres is flavored from everything you can think off..even some of the nasty stuff..lol but im glad you guys told me it can ruin other cigars..if i ever have a itch that big and buy some acids and such i can buy a smaller humidor for them if i feel i would continue to buy flavoreds..which i doubt i will from what everyone tells me..

I bought some Acid Blondies when I was first starting out.  I liked them, but I didnt know any better.  I wouldnt smoke one now. 
I like smoking lightning
I'd check out some of the sample pack from Famous.

The flight packs can be a good value.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/sr.cfm/st/samp/pageno/7/mka/N
This might help.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Free/Video/0,4258,1312377041_1078629812_6779594001,00.html