Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
65 or 70 percent beads from Heartfelt?
I am buying a couple of pounds for the coca cola humidor and just realized that Heartfelt is local to me. I am going to try and go by tomorrow and buy some beads, 2 LBS.

Its a very dry climate here in northern Nevada, whats best for my situation. Its a total of 6.5 cubic feet. The 65 percent beads, say that 1 lb will do 5 C.F.????

Should I go with 65 or 70/

And whats the difference?

RUMBLON
I would go with 65%, just so you don't have to worry about mold.  

65% [thumbsup]
Extensive advice from SC members leads me to belive 65% also.   However, its very dry in ND this time of year and I need the 72% to keep my cigars at 66% humidity.    In the summer I switch back to 65%.

Try the 65% and if it works stick with it.   Otherwise you might need to adjust.
    While I suspect it's dry in Nevada, you also want to take temperature into consideration.  Higher normal temperatures boost humidity.  I'm guessing your Coca-Cola humidor shares more qualities with a cooler than a traditional humidor.  That said, if you're used to higher normal temperatures, I'd most definitely go with the 65%. 

Here in the Northeast, I share Tank's issue with the dry, cold Winter... obviously, to a far lesser degree, of course!  It's tough to keep my humidity at 65%+.  However, Summer is a different story.  When the temperatures rise, I have to keep my cooler in the coolest part of the house to keep it under 70%, even with 65% beads. 

You can use Tank's idea and switch with the seasons, but if you're buying only one setup, I'm thinking you'd do well with 65%.
Pete Wrote:    While I suspect it's dry in Nevada, you also want to take temperature into consideration.  Higher normal temperatures boost humidity.  I'm guessing your Coca-Cola humidor shares more qualities with a cooler than a traditional humidor.  That said, if you're used to higher normal temperatures, I'd most definitely go with the 65%. 

Here in the Northeast, I share Tank's issue with the dry, cold Winter... obviously, to a far lesser degree, of course!  It's tough to keep my humidity at 65%+.  However, Summer is a different story.  When the temperatures rise, I have to keep my cooler in the coolest part of the house to keep it under 70%, even with 65% beads. 

You can use Tank's idea and switch with the seasons, but if you're buying only one setup, I'm thinking you'd do well with 65%.

My basement in the winter is about 66-68 degrees.    In the summer the temp jumps up to about 70 degrees.    Pete is dead on.
Hypothetically, if you get a pound of 65% and a pound of 70%, will some of them put on blue jackets and some put on grey, and stage a mock battle in the humi?

With all quality things in life...     GET BOTH!  Smile
I use 65%.  They seem to run near 70% or slightly above most of the time which is just fine by me.
I like my humi at 62-64% RH my cigars smoke a lot better than when I had it set at 70%RH
i live in colorado, almost in utah, so my climate is a lot like yours. i use the 65, but i add other things in there to humidify as well. beads are just part of the equation for me.