Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously!?!
As most of you know, I got my tonsils out a couple of weeks ago.    My throat is still healing, and I have been staring longingly at my humidors.  While I haven't been able to start smoking again, I was finally getting back to normal.  My sense of taste had mostly returned, and the pain was manageable.  In short, I was starting to feel like myself again. 

So last night after picking up my car from getting a new stereo/dvd player installed, my wife and I went out to our favorite restaurant.  Its a Japanese steakhouse.  She gets the steak and I get sushi.  All in all it was a really nice night.  That is until about 8:00.  I started feeling really sick to my stomach.  I was having really intense intestinal pain that just wouldn't go away.  I was literally writhing around in pain.  Then I started vomiting.  This went on for hours!  The worst part is, I had a very important day at work ahead of me, and I needed to get some rest.   Dealing with what seemed like food poisoning wasn't the preparation I needed.

Then around 3:30 in the morning, the pain changed.  It went from being all over pain to being localized on the right hand side.  Suddenly it occured to me that I didn't have food poisoning from the sushi, what I had was appendicitis.  My wife drove me to the ER, and after a number of tests and many hours of waiting, they confirmed my suspicion.  I will note that contrast dye being administered "rectally" is about as unpleasant a test as I could have imagined.  LOL.  Anyways, they scheduled the surgery to have my appendix removed, and around 11:00 they took the worthless thing out.

In the end  the surgery wasn't too bad.  I feel a lot better than I did after getting my tonsils out.  I am guessing that it will only take a few days to recover.  The worst part was actually the pain leading up to the surgery and missing an important day of work.  Anyways, I just thought I would share.  I really hope my luck turns around.  I lived the first 27 years of my life without a broken bone or a single surgery.  Now I have had 2 surgeries in the course of 3 weeks.  I hope the pattern doesn't continue.  I only have 1 more useless organ that I can afford to lose!

Brad 
Glad you're feeling better.  You could have left out the part about the contrast dye, tho...lol
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
Thats rough man, take it easy for a while.  I had my appendix removed in 2005 and was pretty sore for about a week.  At least you won't have to worry about the tonsils or appendix given ya any trouble ever again Tongue
my appendix ruptured about 7 years ago. i had the hardest freaking time recovering from it though. glad to hear your recovery is going a little smoother. they didn't do any dye or anything on me. tested my white blood cell count, and wheeled me into the operating room just like that. it was crazy.
Wow, you were lucky it didn't burst on you. Count your blessings and get well.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
MikeD Wrote:Glad you're feeling better.  You could have left out the part about the contrast dye, tho...lol
The worst part about that was that it was an incredibly hot nurse using the probe.  It was emasculating beyond belief!

Brad
Hell ain't it!   Oh BTW, it doesn't get better, you get older.[lol]

[Image: rules-of-getting-older.jpg]

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

what a clustershtoop!

glad things got worked out. good news is you got all this crapola out of the way, so heal up, enjoy those pain pills, then you'll be lean and mean.
Hang in there Brad and get well soon. There's just one thing in your post that's bothering me - what's that third organ you can do without?
crowb8 Wrote:Hang in there Brad and get well soon. There's just one thing in your post that's bothering me - what's that third organ you can do without?
Well, the legit answer to that question would be the gall bladder (although there are a few joke answers just begging to be given).  Its funny because the surgeon and the anesthesiologist both made the mistake during the pre op interviews of explaining that they were removing my gall bladder.  I corrected them, but it made me a little nervous that I would wake up with the wrong organ removed.

Brad