Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best of 08
What regular production smokes do you rank as the best of 08 production?

With my limited experience, I would put the Mag 50 on the list.  What smokes surprised?

Regular production I would say the Vegas Robaino Don Alejandro.   But the best of '08 to me was the Cuaba LE. 
Mag 46, RASS, and Monte #4 were good "right out of the box" 08s.  As far as "best" is concerned, I think it's a personal preference thing.  CA picked a $5 Robusto as the #1 cigar of the year! I smoked a few Casa Magna Colorado Robustos and though it's a good smoke I didn't experience spiritual nirvana.  It only means that our"bests" are just different.

For me, "best" is whatever I reorder the most. 

A certain vendor actually has a best of 08 sampler that I am getting myself this month as a birthday present.  Here is what it contains.

2 of each of the following. (not my notes)
HDM Epicure No 2 (what a great comeback)
Bolivar Belicoso Fino (Ditto)
Partagas 898 Varnished (God must smoke these)
H Upmann Magnum 50 (The best new release since first release Cohiba Siglo VI)
Bolivar Corona Extra (consistency personified)
Bolivar Coronas Gigante (the best large format cigar bar none)
Cohiba Robusto (Had some bad patches in 08....but magnificent currently)
Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 3 (Still my favourite shorty)
Punch Petite Corona (Complexity, ballance, brilliance)
Por Larranga Belicoso Extra (PCC Regional Release 2008) (How can I include these on a weeks tastings? Simply because they are that good)
Punch Super Seleccion No 1 (Still a favourite. Can't believe they are on the proposed discontinued list for 2009).
Diplomatico No 2 (Like wearing an old pair of slippers. God bless them)
Montecristo No 1 (So rich in flavour this year. Just a benchmark)

I am going to smoke one of each in 2010, and the second one of each in 2011.  Based on my initial findings, I will likely order more of anything that I liked.

Brad
I think we'd have a shorter list if we went with "Worst of '08".  The "Habano Dog Rockets of '08 Awards"

Probably be a real short list.
Most of my '08 stuff is waiting to be smoked years from now [cigar]

but the only box of 08 stuff I did smoke thru was a box of RyJ Short Churchills. good stuff!
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
TheFife Wrote:A certain vendor actually has a best of 08 sampler that I am getting myself this month as a birthday present.  Here is what it contains.

Por Larranga Belicoso Extra (PCC Regional Release 2008) (How can I include these on a weeks tastings? Simply because they are that good)
Punch Super Seleccion No 1 (Still a favourite. Can't believe they are on the proposed discontinued list for 2009).

I am going to smoke one of each in 2010, and the second one of each in 2011.  Based on my initial findings, I will likely order more of anything that I liked.

Brad

I was looking at that list last night and it inspired this thread.  Sometimes I wonder if this is product they want to move rather than a best list.   I think the Epi No 2 is next on my list as I don't have anything that size right now.
nocsious Wrote:
TheFife Wrote:A certain vendor actually has a best of 08 sampler that I am getting myself this month as a birthday present.  Here is what it contains.

Brad

I was looking at that list last night and it inspired this thread.  Sometimes I wonder if this is product they want to move rather than a best list.   I think the Epi No 2 is next on my list as I don't have anything that size right now.

I have spent a lot of time reading that vendor's posts at his forum, and I get the feeling that he is a stand up guy.  I expect his recommendations to be solid.  A guy like that lives or dies by his reputation, and based on the success he appears to be having, I am willing to extend a bit of trust.  At least until he gives me a reason not to.  If you take a listen to his video review of the 08 RASS, you will see that he is very candid about strengths and weaknesses in a particular year's production.

If you are interested, I'll post pics once my sampler arrives, so you can see the quality etc.

Brad
He's popped up on numerous photo's from the Habanos festival.  I have no doubt about most of his reviews as they've been harsh on some stuff like the Choix Supremes for example, but in general I'm less trusting of a review if someone is trying to sell something.