Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F1 + fish = awesome
Alistair Gibson spent 22 years in Formula 1 paddocks as a mechanic with teams like Benetton and BAR Honda. With decades of carbon fiber and shiny bits swimming in his head, it probably shouldn't come as a complete surprise that after leaving pit lane he has begun fabricating motorsports-influenced sculptures of fish.

Each fish has a body in carbon fiber and comes with a spec sheet detailing the specific parts added to it. The brown trout you see above has a tail fin made of floor stays and comes mounted on a plank from the underside of Jensen Button's 2006 Hungarian GP-winning car. The hammerhead shark has eyes from rear wheel tether gearbox side shrouds, and comes mounted on a gearbox pull rod – also from the 2006 Hungarian GP car.

There are no prices listed, but if you add Formula 1 pedigree, carbon fiber fabrication, F1 chassis parts, and the word "art," well, phrases like "their weight in gold" come to mind. If you're not in the art market right now, you can check out the gallery of sculptures, including a brown trout, hammerhead shark, mackerel, mako shark, and piranha, below.

[Image: brown_trout.jpg]

More pics in the link.  Big Grin

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/22/ex-f1...-to-fish-s
[user=37]Djaric[/user] wrote:
Quote: it probably shouldn't come as a complete surprise that after leaving pit lane he has begun fabricating motorsports-influenced sculptures of fish.

Oh yeah ...... it was obvious he would ............ [lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol]
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Now, that is the coolest!
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
[user=11]B-Dub Cigar Ambassador[/user] wrote:
Quote:Now, that is the coolest!

The parts used, the materials used and the fact that they have a history linked with F1 means they will be sooooooooo expensive.

They are stunningly beautiful though ...... and I want the shark so bad.

[cigar]
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
Those are cool.

There's an artist in Rockport, across the bay from me, who does gamefish sculptures from old car fenders and tractor parts, with original paint, chrome logos, lights and such intact.

Different vibe, similar concept. I must've stood in front of his wall in the gallery for an hour taking it all in.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
[user=118]Not A Nice Person[/user] wrote:
Quote:Those are cool.

There's an artist in Rockport, across the bay from me, who does gamefish sculptures from old car fenders and tractor parts, with original paint, chrome logos, lights and such intact.

Different vibe, similar concept. I must've stood in front of his wall in the gallery for an hour taking it all in.

NANP™
[cigar]

That sounds like my kind of loose yourself as well Boar.

[thumbsup]
maybe the most beautiful artwork ever made.

Donations can be sent to the "Help Dave get Awesome Artwork Fund." Minimum donation, $10,000. (Tax deductible)
davidwys Wrote:maybe the most beautiful artwork ever made.

Donations can be sent to the "Help Dave get Awesome Artwork Fund." Minimum donation, $10,000. (Tax deductible)
HAHA
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore