Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banning or taxing bad health habits to cut health care costs
BigE Wrote:Funny, I seem to recall taxes being levied on cigarettes in the past with similar benefits given.  People do not quit smoking because it is too expensive, they will just cut back on other things to feed the habit (you know, silly things like healthy food, rent, etc.).  Raising the taxes on tobacco and soda will end up having the opposite effect, making the companies richer and the people poorer and even less healthy, thus raising the costs of healthcare. 

Making tobacco completely illegal will just prompt smokers (and alternative-income entrepreneurs) to grow and sell their own.  They tried to do this with alcohol in 1919... look what happened.

As to the morality of it: don't rape, don't murder, don't take that which doesn't belong to you... aside from that, give the people the option and let them make their own decisions.  Keep your idea of morality out of my face, and I'll keep my fist out of yours.  Deal?  Good.  Now let's go have a smoke!

[usa]

[winner][winner][winner][winner][winner][winner][winner]

Fricken awesome!   Replace "fist" with "gun" and this line is perfect!   I will smoke with you anytime!

Ah more healthcare is overrated! Natural selection in an overpopulated world... of course maybe i'm just a prick...
maverick Wrote:Ah more healthcare is overrated! Natural selection in an overpopulated world... of course maybe i'm just a prick...

We're all insensitive pricks!   And I don't care![smokin]
TN State employees to pay surcharge to smoke

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10262814&nav=menu59_2

The next order of business should be to tackle the flip-flop dilemma.  There are entirely too many otherwise healthy people who blow out their flip-flop, step on a pop topand have to cruise on back home;  once there all they can think about is the booze in their blender.  The reckless portion of our society who don unrestricted foot-wear are placing a significant burden on our healthcare system.  Also, consider the lost productivity that flip-flops are responsible for............completely unacceptable [curse]
SmokyOneKenobi Wrote:TN State employees to pay surcharge to smoke

The next order of business should be to tackle the flip-flop dilemma.  There are entirely too many otherwise healthy people who blow out their flip-flop, step on a pop topand have to cruise on back home;  once there all they can think about is the booze in their blender.  The reckless portion of our society who don unrestricted foot-wear are placing a significant burden on our healthcare system.  Also, consider the lost productivity that flip-flops are responsible for............completely unacceptable [curse]
That sucks!!    How do they determine who is & who isn't a smoker?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
SmokyOneKenobi Wrote:TN State employees to pay surcharge to smoke

That sucks!!    How do they determine who is & who isn't a smoker?
Drug tests for nicotine more then likely.  Or whatever it is that gets in your blood.
They find it, your a smoker period. 

Hell, lets just have an air tax.  You breath air you have to pay.
And a toilet tax.  You poop or pee,  have to pay.  Sneezing tax.   A hair tax for people with long or excessive hair.  
I found this article to be mildly interesting.

http://www.heartland.org/policybot/resul...ealed.html