Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Pool 2020 Game Thread
Same rules as last year

Quote:The Rules 

No name changes can be made to your list after the cut off date.

If you do make a change to a name on your list after the entry deadline, you will be disqualified.

Post if someone on your list dies & I will mark them on your list

Names of the nominees must be spelled alphabetically correct, or 10 points will be deducted if one dies whom you spelled wrong.  [Image: tongue.gif]

If someone on your list dies before you post your list, you can't use them in your selection.

You cannot post an exact copy of another persons list. If you do, the first list posted will be valid, yours will not be.

You cannot submit names of persons on death row.

You cannot submit a nominee who is 100 yrs old or older, that would be like fish in a barrel...

Killing someone on your list will result in your disqualification

In the event of a tie, the player with the youngest average age of correct predictions wins.

No members of StogieChat can be on a list.

How You Will Win
We will do this on a points system, where points are based on 100 years of age. Subtract the deceased person's age from 100 to determine the amount of points you earn.

For example, if a person is 75 when they die, subtract their age from 100 and you get 25 points.

The person with the most points collected at the end of the year wins.

Bonus Points:
25 extra points for the first nominee to die in 2020  01/21/2020

50 extra points to anyone who has two nominees die on the same day.

25 extra points if you were the only person to pick that nominee.

75 extra points to the person who has three or more nominees die on the same day.

25 extra points for any nominee to die in December of 2020

25 extra points for any nominee to die in the last week of December of 2020 (in addition to the above 25 extra points for the month of December 2020).

25 extra points for the 1st woman 09/18/2020

25 extra points for the 1st man  01/21/2020

100 extra points if 1 of your nominees kills another of your nominees

We each send a 5'er to the winner & maybe 2 or so to the runner up

Quote:The Lists

Tonto's List
1.  Carl Reiner   RIP 06/29/2020
2.  Hugh Downs  RIP 07/01/2020
3.  Larry Storch
4.  Henry Kissinger
5.  Michael Moore
6.  Clint Eastwood
7.  Harry Reid
8.  Bill Clinton
9.  Carol Burnett
10. Jimmy Carter
11. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
12. Gene Hackman
13. Tony Bennett
14. Terry Jones  RIP 01/21/2020
15. James Earl Jones
16. Ed Asner
17. Olivia Newton-John
18. Bob Barker
19. Dorris Day
20. Ruth Bader Ginsberg  RIP 09/18/2020
21. Nichelle Nicoles                                 
22. Queen Elizabeth II
23. Barbara Walters
24. Janet Napoitano
25. Hillary Clinton

Jimmie the Mum's List
1.    Alex Trebek   RIP 11/08/2020
2.    David Crosby
3.    John Gardner (Texas Death Row)  RIP 01/15/2020
4.    Jimmy Carter
5.    Sean Connery  RIP 10/30/2020
6.    Mel Brooks
7.    Tommy Lasorda
8.    Bob Cousy
9.    Bob Barker
10. Robert Gabriel Mugabe
11. Ruth Bader Ginsburg  RIP 09/18/2020
12. Regis Philbin  RIP 07/24/2020
13. Sydney Poitier
14. Nikki Sixx
15. Leah Bracknell
16. Ayman al-Zawahiri
17. Julio Alex Diaz
18. Rafael Caro Quintero
19. Brigitte Bardot
20. Lindsay Lohan
21. Tom Brokaw
22. Johnny Clegg
23. Ozzy Osbourne
24. Mikhail Gorachev
25. Liza Minnelli

Benfishin1's List
1.    Alex Trebek    RIP 11/08/2020
2.    Artie Lang
3.    Bill Cosby
4.    Bob Barker
5.    Charlie Sheen
6.    Daniel Hernandez (Teka$hi 6ix9ine)
7.    Dick Cheney
8.    Ed Asner
9.    Gene Hackman
10.   Jerry Stiller   RIP 05/11/2020
11.   Jim Kelly
12.   Jimmy Carter
13.   John Andretti
14.   John Madden
15.   Larry Flint
16.   Larry King
17.   Leon Spinks
18.   Loretta Lynn
19.   Marion Knight (Suge Knight)
20.   Mel Brooks
21.   Mikhail Gorbachev
22.   Olivia Newton John
23.   Ruth Bader Ginsberg  RIP 09/18/2020
24.   Tommy Lasorda
25.   Wilford Brimley  RIP 08/01/2020

nayslayer's List
1. Betty White
2. Barbara Walters
3. Robert Deniro
4. Louis Farrakhan
5. Mick Jagger
6. Dick Cheney
7. Jimmy Carter
8. Michael Moore
9. Bob Barker
10. Willie Nelson
11. Eric Clapton
12. Bill Cosby
13. Charlie Sheen
14. Ozzy Osbourne
15. Bill Clinton
16. Boy George
17. Wilford Brimley  RIP 08/01/2020
18. Regis Philbin  RIP 07/24/2020
19. Angela Lansbury
20. Paul McCartney
21. Cher
22. Alex Trebek  RIP 11/08/2020
23. Marion Ross
24. Ruth Ginsberg  RIP 09/18/2020
25. John Madden

Current
Score (As Of 11/09/2020)
Benfishin1               106.0
Jimmie the Mum      216.0
nayslayer                  85.0
Tonto                     139.0
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I kept my list almost the same as last year's.  Just a couple of changes.

Just a few observations....a lot of obvious picks...by all of us Tongue   Big Grin 

But you guys....some really, really interesting picks! 
When I saw some of them...I was like "Why didn't I think of them?"
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Have to say, those are pretty good lists.
No Justice, No Peace!
Should be an interesting year!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
I think I made only 1 or 2 changes from last years.
The game has been active since 1/15/2020. 

Four people playing currently, but anyone can still join in.  The sooner, the better. Smile
https://news.sky.com/story/monty-python-star-terry-jones-dies-aged-77-11914965?fbclid=IwAR0u1sVjT9rnhGORAgS-hpRQ7um2MVv7wESsbmNhS-svKUtvML7aPQ9BpLs

Quote:Cleese, Palin and Idle pay tribute to Monty Python star Terry Jones

The Python will be remembered for his many comedy roles and of course the line "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Monty Python star Terry Jones has died at the age of 77.

The Welsh actor was one of the six members of Monty Python - a group widely considered the "Beatles of comedy".

Jones's death was confirmed by his family, who said he had passed away on the evening of 21 January at his home in north London with his wife Anna Soderstrom by his side.

They said he had been fighting "a long, extremely brave but always good humoured battle with a rare form of dementia".

Jones contracted the progressive disease four years ago, which primarily affected his ability to communicate.

He is said to have "gently slipped away" after spending the last few days in the constant company of his wife, children, extended family and many close friends.

Image: Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life: (L-R) Eric Idle, Michael Palin, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones

A message from the official Monty Python Twitter account read: "Farewell dear Terry J. Two down, four to go. Love Terry G, Mike, John & Eric."

A family statement said: "We have all lost a kind, funny, warm, creative and truly loving man whose uncompromising individuality, relentless intellect and extraordinary humour has given pleasure to countless millions across six decades.

"His work with Monty Python, his books, films, television programmes, poems and other work will live on forever, a fitting legacy to a true polymath."

They also thanked the nurses, doctors and carers who had helped Jones over the last few years, saying they had made life "not only bearable but often joyful".

During his lifetime, Jones and his wife helped to raise over £600,000 for Alzheimer's Research UK, in a bid to fund vital dementia research which they hoped would one day eradicate the disease.

The statement concluded by giving thanks "that we lived in the presence of an extraordinarily talented, playful and happy man living a truly authentic life, in his words 'Lovingly frosted with glucose'".

Jones became a household name thanks to Monty Python - a surreal comedy group which he created along with Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle and Michael Palin.

Jones is largely credited with coming up with the surreal structure of the show, which didn't comply to the normal joke set-up, premise and punch line formula.

cont....

I was a big fan.  I heard a few years ago he was ill (that's why he was on my list).  Most people last only about a year.

My favorite skits were "Nudge nudge wink wink" & "The Bishop"

RIP

I'll figure out scoring later.
So many great skits. I thought I had a favorite, but then I keep remembering others.
Not sure he's on anyone's list....

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/mr-peanut-dies-super-bowl-ad-causing-nut-lovers-everywhere-n1120441?fbclid=IwAR25DtulleHq-R7lfTnfChjATl3L0f2mV2Tdzvvahnvd-yiBBhr-RZibkUM

Quote:Mr. Peanut dies in Super Bowl ad, causing nut lovers everywhere to mourn

Fans can watch the famed nut's funeral during the third quarter of the Super Bowl.

Planters confirmed that Mr. Peanut died during a pre-Super Bowl ad and nut lovers everywhere Wednesday are mourning his death.

The snack company posted the ad of Mr. Peanut, clad in his signature top hat and holding his black cane, and his friends, Wesley Snipes and Matt Walsh, getting into a car accident to social media Tuesday. As the trio tries to escape the swerving NUTmobile, they cling to a tree branch. While they were momentarily safe, their combined weight nearly snaps the branch until Mr. Peanut decides to let go and sacrifice his life to save his friends.

“It’s with heavy hearts that we confirm Mr. Peanut has passed away at 104 years old,” Samantha Hess, planters brand manager at Kraft Heinz, said in a statement. “He will be remembered as the legume who always brought people together for nutty adventures and a good time."

According to Hess, fans can "tune into Mr. Peanut's funeral" during the third quarter of the Super Bowl when the company's full ad will premiere.

"I'll do my best to honor his legacy and be there for my friends like he was always there for me even until our last wild ride together," Walsh said in a statement encouraging viewers to "pay their last respects" during the Super Bowl.

But some fans are not waiting until the Feb. 2 game to pay tribute to their favorite animated nut.

"Always classy, always crunchy, always cleaned up nicely," read a tweet from the official Mr. Clean account. "We'll miss him!"

"As a kid with a severe peanut allergy, I was raised to fear Mr. Peanut," tweeted another person. "But he always seemed so pleasant and jovial. He will be missed!"

Yet some remain critical of Mr. Peanut, even after his death, while others questioned whether Mr. Peanut was actually dead.

"Mr. Peanut, who wore a monocle and top hat while selling fellow peanuts, was the ultimate capitalist," tweeted editor Jonathan Cohn.

"These marketing IDIOTS think I’m gonna fall for their obvious 'Mr. Peanut is dead' ploy?," wrote comedian Ian Abramson. "They’ll have a funeral for Mr. Peanut at the Super Bowl. Here’s the thing: he’s a nut (legume, I know, but still). His buried body will GROW more peanuts."

Mr. Peanut's death is only one of Planter's many promotional efforts as the Super Bowl approaches. The company said people who spot the NUTmobile up until Super Bowl Sunday will receive a pin celebrating Mr. Peanut’s life.

Fans can also enter to win commemorative packaging that shows Mr. Peanut throughout his lifespan from Jan. 24-Jan. 27.

I always liked his brittle...
For my pick of Terry Jones and with that, I'm probably done for the year.

100 - 77 = 23 points

Bonus points: 25 + 25 + 25  (1st person, 1st male, only person to pick) = 75 points each

So 23 + 75= 98 total points

(Guys, please check my scoring on this)