Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Rum & Bourbon Balls
Haven't made this in quite a long time, but the wife asked for them.

Pic of the liquors being used:

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I made 4 batches, rum, bourbon, amaretto, & triple sec.

I have some of the base left over & will make another batch tonight. Not sure what kind though.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
What does the finished product look like Jan?
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
(11-22-2018, 05:12 PM)Benfishin1 Wrote: What does the finished product look like Jan?

I'll try to take a few pics, if the vultures haven't devoured them all
Here's a pic of 1 of the them. This was the rum one. They all look the same after they set up over night. The white stuff is powdered sugar, which is used to roll them & get them to stop sticking to each other until they set. Size is approximately 1" diameter & a little larger.

The brown color is due to the cocoa powder in the mix. It also has finely shredded peacans too.
On a side note... The rum goes very nicely with eggnog.
I've never heard of them. They look good Jan!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
(11-22-2018, 08:20 PM)Benfishin1 Wrote: I've never heard of them.  They look good Jan!

It's a really simple recipe.  I started doing it back in the early'90's, then stopped for awhile (many different reasons).  My wife & kids (who have never tried them) wanted me to make some.

It was originally for bourbon, but over the years, I've substituted different liquors. 

Here's the basic recipe:
Quote:Ingredients
1 cup of vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 cup Bourbon
1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Confectioners' sugar for rolling

Directions
Combine crumbs, pecans, sugar & cocoa
Blend the bourbon & corn syrup
Mix all ingredients together
Spoon out small amounts & drop them onto some of the confectioners sugar
Form into 1" balls
Roll in confectioners' sugar
Chill until firm
Makes approx 4 dozen

Some random notes, from my experience...
It never makes 4 dozen, unless you make them extra small
When rolling them in your hands, keep plenty of confectioners sugar on your hands/palms, to prevent sticking.
When finished rolling a ball, roll it through the confectioners sugar, then place into a container lined with wax paper.
Put down wax paper to work on.  It helps to contain the mess.
The flavor of the liquor lessens with age.
Grand Marnier works nicely...just a little too pricey for me right now.
Use name brand vanilla wafer cookies for better flavor (Nilla Wafers & Keebler)
I'm going to have to try them. Thanks Jan!
They do look delicious.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore