Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestions for a Wireless Thermometer, (for my smoker)
I'm in need of suggestions for a Wireless Thermometer, for my smoker.

I went to use my old one yesterday, for some Prime ribs, when I put the probes into the meat, 1 temp read 125° & the other 168°. The meat was still uncooked & on the table at room temperature. [Image: icon_smile_dissapprove.gif]
My old unit was a Maverick ET-733.

I have a few Amazon gift cards, so that's where I'm looking to buy from. I'd like to get a 2 probe unit, something that's easy to use & I don't need one of my sons to program [Image: icon_smile_big.gif]

What do you all recommend?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
The long standing "standard" in bbq thermometer has been the maverick 732. It's basically what you have, yours is just the long range version. I've used one for many years. The receiver and transmitter are great units. The probes, however, are complete and utter garbage. To find one that lasts 6 months would be a miracle. So now we look at how to deal with that. A couple options here.

1) accept their probes are crap, and keep extras on hand. Viable, probes are cheap and they'll almost always replace them if you send yours back.

2) try to improve their probes. I've taken to sealing up mines cord and connector with a touch of rtv and heatshrink. Seems to help, but they still die sooner than I feel they should.

3) try a competitors product. Thermoworks, who makes the thermapen, has released a competing product- I think they call it the "smoke". I've heard good things about it.

Or

4) cut out the wireless model and invest in something like a thermapen. I have one. It's the best. There's really no comparison.

Keep in mind, if you're patient you can find the ivation units for less than the maverick's. They're the same unit just rebranded. I'd be willing to bet there's nothing wrong with your transmitter or receiver, the probes have just gone to shit.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk