Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowblower Carberator question
Ok, for you guys who know this stuff:

My snowblower started stalling & then not starting.  After priming it, it would turn over, but then stall.  Fresh gas, with Sea foam...gas valve/peacock is open.

I'm guessing it's a carb problem.  Most likely something gummed up from the ethanol crap.

The last time I rebuilt a carb was 1982 & I really don't want to take it all the way apart...I'll probably mess it up worse.

My questions is...how far do i have to go to get it to run?

Here are a couple of youtube videos with the same engine I have (a Tecumseh LH195SA/LH195SP).  The snowblower is an Ariens #932038-5520 2 stage.

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
PM Lurch?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
How much is a new carb? Sometimes that happens on my mower. I get stubborn and start trying to fix it, when buying a new one is like 15 bucks.
(01-23-2016, 09:22 PM)scott81425 Wrote: How much is a new carb? Sometimes that happens on my mower. I get stubborn and start trying to fix it, when buying a new one is like 15 bucks.

I have no idea where I would get a new one.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I always get them on amazon or ebay. Should be able to get the replacement part number in the manual.
(01-23-2016, 09:47 PM)scott81425 Wrote: I always get them on amazon or ebay. Should be able to get the replacement part number in the manual.

Thanks...just saw them on Amazon.  Right now, I just want to get it running, so I might just try dropping the bowl & cleaning it & the jet...but In the spring/summer, I'll replace the whole unit, fuel line, & shut off valve.
I've tried it all, draining all the gas out and running it dry, fuel stabilizer and leaving the gas in, you name it, I've tried it. I never have any luck, every few years I just end up replacing the carb. Sucks, but I've come to terms with it.
Ok, following that one video, I dropped the carb bowl & jet.  It was filled with gunk.  I soaked the jet for about 1/2 hour in Sea Foam & also used the Sea Foam to wipe out the bowl.  Then I used a piece of copper wire to push through the jet openings to clear them & blew them out with a can of air (for cleaning computers).  When I went outside, before putting the bowl & jet back in, I used the air can to blow gunk off of the float.  I put it back together, and after some priming, it ran.  Not great, but it worked.  It ran rough, but got smoother as it ran.

Driveway & sidewalks cleared.

I'm going to order a new carb from Amazon...less than $20.
Thumbsup
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
On a related note...do any of you all have chains on your snow blower's tires?