Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Need tablet advice!
Help!  I need tablet advice!

My wife just hinted that she'd like a small tablet...something around 7" size.

I know nothing about tablets & I don't want to get her a piece of junk.  I have no idea what features to look for.

Any ideas? 

My spending limit for this is restricted to around $100 - $150.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I would consider a Nexus 7.. I really like the 16GB version because i think it has more than enough space..

There are referb options... There are some of the Gen1's for well within your price range that are new.. And the FHD 2013 model can be had for just a tad outside your budget.

For what its worth, I bough my current Nexus 7 used for $100 (Included the charger, cable, USB OTG Y adapter so I can connect an external drive, a leather case, and a bluetooth keyboard)... Its the 16GB FHD 2013 model.. I really like it and it was a smoking deal.
(12-21-2014, 02:02 PM)Teck1337 Wrote: I would consider a Nexus 7.. I really like the 16GB version because i think it has more than enough space..

There are referb options... There are some of the Gen1's for well within your price range that are new.. And the FHD 2013 model can be had for just a tad outside your budget.

For what its worth, I bough my current Nexus 7 used for $100 (Included the charger, cable, USB OTG Y adapter so I can connect an external drive, a leather case, and a bluetooth keyboard)... Its the 16GB FHD 2013 model.. I really like it and it was a smoking deal.

I was looking at these:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/434190/Encore_2_Tablet_-_Gold
and
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black

Is it better for it to run Android, or Windows 8.1?
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I like Windows 8.1 and Android equally.. For my use, I would be happy with either OS (and most people probably would be also). On a tablet, I find they are both equally responsive. The main difference right now is that Android has a larger user base and more apps available; but, Microsoft has done a good job bringing apps to their market place. Its a toss up for most users.

Between those two links the Toshiba has a better camera and its screen will be more sensitive.. It would most likely be a really good candidate for using a stylus to draw on/take notes. The WinBook has better overall spec's... A slightly better CPU (In my opinion), 2GB of ram..

If it were between those.. I would be really tempted to get the Toshiba because the screen is more sensitive and I dont think the 1GB of ram should be a problem for most people..
Do you think a 32GB class 10 SDHC would be good to go with it? Or would a 64GB be worth it (better)?
32gb should be fine.. If needed you could always upgrade to 64gb, but i dont think you'll need to.
I have a 16 GB nook HD+ that I put CM on so it would just be an android tablet. Its a 16 GB, and I put a 32 card in it. I haven't even come close to using up the 16, let alone the extra 32.
Good deal on Woot today.

http://computers.woot.com/offers/google-...-296533125
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.