Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need an External Computer Hard Drive, for Backups
(11-10-2014, 03:50 PM)Tonto Wrote: Well, I'd guess, to back up all the drives, if they were full, I'd need 3 @ 1TB each & 1 @ 500GB, plus 4 housings.

So, you have 1 TB of data on  each of those drives?

I ask this because, here on my laptop I have a 500GB HDD in it.  I'm using about 110GB for everything. (OS, pics, vids, music, P0RN, games, etc.)  My gaming machine sitting right next to my laptop has a 250GB HDD, and I'm using 99GB for my games and OS.  My wifes machine has a 250GB HDD in it, and she is using about 145GB for all her stuff.  The machine the kids use has a 100GB HDD in it, and it is pushed pretty tight, using about 85GB right now.

So right now, I could buy one 1TB HDD, and back up all the machines, and have some room to spare.  Even if I backed up everything including the OS.

Do you need more than that?
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
(11-10-2014, 04:49 PM)Domniomaestro Wrote:
(11-10-2014, 03:50 PM)Tonto Wrote: Well, I'd guess, to back up all the drives, if they were full, I'd need 3 @ 1TB each & 1 @ 500GB, plus 4 housings.

So, you have 1 TB of data on  each of those drives?

I ask this because, here on my laptop I have a 500GB HDD in it.  I'm using about 110GB for everything. (OS, pics, vids, music, P0RN, games, etc.)  My gaming machine sitting right next to my laptop has a 250GB HDD, and I'm using 99GB for my games and OS.  My wifes machine has a 250GB HDD in it, and she is using about 145GB for all her stuff.  The machine the kids use has a 100GB HDD in it, and it is pushed pretty tight, using about 85GB right now.

So right now, I could buy one 1TB HDD, and back up all the machines, and have some room to spare.  Even if I backed up everything including the OS.

Do you need more than that?

The 4 computers are using approx 350GB, 250GB, 200GB, 120GB so that would be a total of approx: 920GB
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I picked up a couple 1tb external hd's at staples not too long ago for 30 bucks each, so I definitely wouldn't buy just the drive for 55. I think some routers have the ability to hook up a USB HD for backup purposes then use acronis or something similar to make backups. I'd wait for black Friday/cyber monday before buying anything though.
Check Amazon for a Synology disk station... Maybe a 2bay... Start with a single 2 or 3tb drive...

The idea being you connect it to the network and either sync specific folders, use the windows backup, or disk imaging software like Acronis TrueImage.

Its what I do.. I have a 4 bay synology that all machines backup to... It can be setup to be accessible remotely if you choose (mine is).. It can even do backups of your backups to a cloud service. Its very powerful...
(11-10-2014, 03:55 PM)nayslayer Wrote: this is what was talking about, may be about same price as an external drive for each pc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Just noticed I suggested the same thing... Anyway, it is super easy to use and very flexible. I would even suggest checking eBay... Occasionally there are great deals to be found on used units.

For reference, I have a DiskStation DS414J.
http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wd...oC6NDw_wcB
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
or Jan, honestly you can get yourself a simple 2 tb USB drive and just plug it into any computer you want to back up. It doesn't need to be fast or fancy. I paid around $80 for my 2tb USB drive. It's slow so I start my backups and go to bed. It's done in a few hours. Once a month you can go around and back up each of your computers. Just the data folders.
My computer has 3 tb of disk. With each backup I make I simply create a folder named by the date and start my backup new. I have around 9 backups and I've not even used 15% of the drive yet. No need to back up programs and the operating system.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
ok, I'm going to put away a little money & save up to buy a Synology unit.

But in the mean time, I need to back up a small machine so I can work on it for my daughter.  So I picked up a 500GB external Toshiba HD.  It was on sale at a good price & the last one in stock.

I hooked it up this morning & went to do a backup and got this:

Quote:The backup did not complete successfully.

An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the error.

The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)
The computer is a Gateway GT5426E, running 32 bit Vista

Any ideas?

ETA: It seemed to stop as it was attempted to make a shadow copy.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281/en-US
No Justice, No Peace!
(11-12-2014, 12:39 PM)nayslayer Wrote: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281/en-US

I saw that, but it's Windows 7.  Would it apply to Vista as well?