Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Link
I found this pretty interesting:

"Feast your eyes on what a group of scientists call the Holy Grail of human evolution.

A team of researchers Tuesday unveiled an almost perfectly intact fossil of a 47 million-year-old primate they say represents the long-sought missing link between humans and apes."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/05/19/2009-05-19_missing_link_found_fossil_of_47_millionyearold_primate_sheds_light_on_.html

I always assumed that when the Missing Link was discovered we would find something like this:

[Image: 9c4654294d80820c1f5c0012633f.jpg]

It is interesting that a skeleton that looks like a lemur is now the great, great, aunt of mankind. 

[Image: ring-tailed%20lemur.jpg]

[Image: 104318395_e8b82bc463.jpg?v=0]

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Damn, wish I had my tail back.
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
[Image: madagascar-20050526073855521-000.jpg]
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
[user=65]Bobgun[/user] wrote:
Quote:It is interesting that a skeleton that looks like a lemur is now the great, great, aunt of mankind. 

Not really. Paleobiologists have always said a primitive ancestor of the lemur was the likely ancestor of both apes and humans. It's just now they have proof.

Of course, here in Texas the Lege will see to it we can still only call it a "theory."

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
I saw that on the news. How cool is that?

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

[user=118]Not A Nice Person[/user] wrote:
Quote:[user=65]Bobgun[/user] wrote:
Quote:It is interesting that a skeleton that looks like a lemur is now the great, great, aunt of mankind. 

Not really. Paleobiologists have always said a primitive ancestor of the lemur was the likely ancestor of both apes and humans. It's just now they have proof.

Of course, here in Texas the Lege will see to it we can still only call it a "theory."

NANP™
[cigar]
The funny thing about proof is that it shouldn't be subjective, but in the case of evolution that's exactly what it is.