Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a little diy advice
OK here's the deal. My sons bday is coming up soon and I got him a punching bag to hang out in the garage. Its a 100 pound heavy bag. My garage doesn't have a finished roof and is supported by trusses. I believe they're put together with 2x4's. I'm doubting that would be safe for holding the heavy bag, so I would have to brace it up with something else. Has anyone done this? Or have any idea how to do it? I just don't want my roof to cave in first time it snows.
My bag is attached with steel "stocks" on to the garage wall. I say stocks, like for hanging someone.
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
How far out do they come? How does it swing?
You could get a stand for the bag. I was actually just looking at one today on Craigslist
--Mike
(09-09-2013, 06:43 PM)wtfdic Wrote: You could get a stand for the bag. I was actually just looking at one today on Craigslist

I checked my local CL as well. No one has just a stand. I like the idea of hanging it anyway. I was thinking of getting 3 2x6's and kind of making an H out of them, but not actually 6 feet apart from each other if that makes sense. Bracing 2 of the 2x6's across the top of the trusses. So the weight would be spread out across 3 or 4 of the trusses. Then cutting the third 2x6 and bolting it to the 2 that are on top of my trusses. Then putting an eye bolt or bag hanger through there. I'd think that would hold.
(09-09-2013, 07:51 PM)scott81425 Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 06:43 PM)wtfdic Wrote: You could get a stand for the bag. I was actually just looking at one today on Craigslist

I checked my local CL as well. No one has just a stand. I like the idea of hanging it anyway. I was thinking of getting 3 2x6's and kind of making an H out of them, but not actually 6 feet apart from each other if that makes sense. Bracing 2 of the 2x6's across the top of the trusses. So the weight would be spread out across 3 or 4 of the trusses. Then cutting the third 2x6 and bolting it to the 2 that are on top of my trusses. Then putting an eye bolt or bag hanger through there. I'd think that would hold.

how far are the trusses spanning?
(09-09-2013, 08:18 PM)parkerplus Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 07:51 PM)scott81425 Wrote:

how far are the trusses spanning?

Think they're about a foot and a half apart from each other. Maybe 2 foot.
i have to ask... what's above the garage?
I ask because let me tel you, a heavy bag attached to a supporting beam turns the room (in your case the garage) into a resonator. It will be very very loud in whatever room is above the garage.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(09-10-2013, 08:15 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: i have to ask... what's above the garage?
I ask because let me tel you, a heavy bag attached to a supporting beam turns the room (in your case the garage) into a resonator. It will be very very loud in whatever room is above the garage.

Nothing above the garage, its detached. That's the beauty of my plan, all that noise will be outside.
Then you're golden
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer