Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cigar vitola standards
So I'm smoking a undercrown "robosto" and its noticeably larger rg than standard 50. This isn't the first cigar I've noticed this with, but seems to me that its a growing trend. I know there are marketing reasons, but why confuse the consumer any more than you have to. And what's the advantage?
No Justice, No Peace!
Yea, I read a few articles about this, obviously, not my cup of tea.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
The underground is an amazing cigar, that I love.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
Well, I love it as well. Drew estate isn't the only one doing this either, just only one example. I'm sure you could have a laundry list of them
No Justice, No Peace!
I've noticed that as well, their robusto is definitely bigger than most.

Cigar sizes are one thing that troubles my little mind. It seems like every company has different names for the same sizes.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
I don't car about the size all that much, as long as its something enjoyable (wont go for those 6x60/7x70's anytime soon). As long as the cigar tastes good, and isn't gonna last 3+ hours, I'm happy.

But I've noticed it as well. Robusto from one company can be way different than Robusto from another
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
This sort of thing has long been a sore spot for me, and in the past I have stopped buying brands because of it...

Whether or not you like Cuban Cigars, Habanos SA did do something right imho... they established a standard set of vitolas, and all of the cigars coming out of Cuba adhere to the standards...

The Vitola de Galera (Factory Name) list is here:
http://cubancigarwebsite.com/list-factorynames.aspx

(It is too long to cut and paste)

There is also a Vitola de Salida which is a market name, which can be different, and is the name that each brand gives to the cigar (the can be the same as the VdG)

For example:
The Cohiba Lancero: The Vitola de Galara (Factory size) is a Laguito No. 1, and the Vitola de Salida (Market Name) is Lancero

RyJ Churchill: VdG - Julieta No. 2, VdS - Churchill

Look around the site a bit, and it may become clearer than I could explain it here in my beer-fueled haze... Wink