Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plumbing question
Here's the story:
Back in March I ordered a replacement cartridge for our bath/shower, as it had started to leak sometimes. Due to being sick, I never changed it, but last night it blew..it wouldn't turn off. So I put in the replacement. It was a Pfister 974-0420. Anyway..it stopped the leak, but the stem is so hard to turn, the crystal knob actually cracked. I could barely turn it using channel-locks.

I called Pfister & they are sending a replacement.

Now the question:
The rep told me that those type of parts are lubricated & if not used right away, dry out & that's what made it hard to turn. Is that true?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
I had the same exact problem installing a Pfister shower head/wand... I just tossed it (I was too f-ing angry to call them up).
(01-07-2013, 01:19 PM)Teck1337 Wrote: I had the same exact problem installing a Pfister shower head/wand... I just tossed it (I was too f-ing angry to call them up).

It took me hours to get through to them...and only after I posted on their facebook page. The parts they are sending free of charge, can't complain about that. I just question the lubrication thing.

It wasn't fun trying to find the water shutoff down stairs at 1am & then trying to get the old cartridge out of the wall.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Note:

Never buy a Pfister product.

Cemented now in my mind.

Thanks guys. Smile
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
I thought this post was going to be about your man-parts...
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Plumbing question

test

Water runs down hill
Friday is payday
Never bite your fingernails.

I think it was a bad part. Pfister and all the other big boys offer lifetime on parts. The only brand I use is Delta and the easiest and have parts on hand for all "they supplied". You can replace the entire unit in less than 10 minutes. 1 diverter ball, 2 springs and 2 rubber seats wits everything. Oh, always keep a tube of silicone grease. Now call them to replace the ball.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Jan, try spraying a little wd40 in there then if it works, hook it up pronto.

It sounds so stupid for a faucet to have a limited shelf life. What if the store didn't sell it for a few months. They should put an expiration date on the package!!!
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(01-08-2013, 10:35 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: Jan, try spraying a little wd40 in there then if it works, hook it up pronto.

It sounds so stupid for a faucet to have a limited shelf life. What if the store didn't sell it for a few months. They should put an expiration date on the package!!!

Skip...I have it in the wall right now, it stopped the leak. I have a large Vise-Grip pliers locked on the stem, so we can take a shower right now. Replacement should be here by Friday.

I agree...really stupid for it to have a short shelf like...I think it was just a bad valve & that's their cover story.
What is this cartridge you speak of?
(01-08-2013, 03:05 PM)Bluesman455 Wrote: What is this cartridge you speak of?

It controls the mixing of Hot & cold water for the bath tub or shower.

here's the cartridge:
[Image: 41EmaPEw1qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

[Image: 41a8d4ZvaqL._SL500_SS500_.jpg]