Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidity
(06-02-2012, 01:46 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Also remember that cigars will be shipped wetter than good for smoking. Once you get a stable humidor environment, let the new cigars acclimate before smoking them. For humidication I use the Heartfelt 65% rh beads.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/prodd...d=HB_05_65

Also, temperature is a big factor, especially if it is hot and humid. Keep your humidor in a low 70s environment and away from any direct sun. So, keeping your stash in a cool room is advisable. This and a properly calibrated hygrometer should keep your sticks in good smoking shape.

Great point

Along the same lines I am a big fan of dry boxing. This allows The cigars to get acclaimed to the humidity where you are smoking.
--Mike
(06-02-2012, 10:41 AM)wtfdic Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 01:46 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Also remember that cigars will be shipped wetter than good for smoking. Once you get a stable humidor environment, let the new cigars acclimate before smoking them. For humidication I use the Heartfelt 65% rh beads.

Also, temperature is a big factor, especially if it is hot and humid. Keep your humidor in a low 70s environment and away from any direct sun. So, keeping your stash in a cool room is advisable. This and a properly calibrated hygrometer should keep your sticks in good smoking shape.

Great point

Along the same lines I am a big fan of dry boxing. This allows the over humidified and/or young cigars you plan to smoke soon to get acclaimed to the humidity where you are smoking.

FIFY

Depending on where you live humidity wise, dry boxing can take longer or sooner. If you're in dry environment just make sure to keep an eye on the wrapper to make sure you don't get that shriveled shrunken look.

I normally try to subscribe to patience but if you got a young cigar that you want to try right away, dry boxing can do wonders. My neighbor likes to over humidify his cigars, if he gives me one to try I'll dry box it if I'm smoking it in the nest couple of days or simply store it in the quarantine humidor to help it acclimatise and settle down. His over humidified cigars often taste bitter so I try to avoid them off the bat.

Nothing beats time though. Store a good cigar in proper conditions long enough and you'll likely to have a great experience.
(06-02-2012, 01:00 PM)Riofan Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 10:41 AM)wtfdic Wrote:

i

Great point

Along the same lines I am a big fan of dry boxing. This allows the over humidified and/or young cigars you plan to smoke soon to get acclaimed to the humidity where you are smoking.

FIFY

Depending on where you live humidity wise, dry boxing can take longer or sooner. If you're in dry environment just make sure to keep an eye on the wrapper to make sure you don't get that shriveled shrunken look.

I normally try to subscribe to patience but if you got a young cigar that you want to try right away, dry boxing can do wonders. My neighbor likes to over humidify his cigars, if he gives me one to try I'll dry box it if I'm smoking it in the nest couple of days or simply store it in the quarantine humidor to help it acclimatise and settle down. His over humidified cigars often taste bitter so I try to avoid them off the bat.

Nothing beats time though. Store a good cigar in proper conditions long enough and you'll likely to have a great experience.

Definitely. Good cigars, much like fine wine, boil down to blend, age, condition, and palate.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
What if it is not possible to keep humidor in a cool place. It can get up to 80 with ac blasting in house. ranges from 70 to 80.
Try to keep it as cool as possible and as consistent as possible. For instance DO NOT put it over an air conditioner vent because you think this is the coolest place. It will be cool, or cold when the AC is on, then warm when it is off. All that changing will make your cigars wet and they will fall apart.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(06-12-2012, 02:07 PM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: Try to keep it as cool as possible and as consistent as possible. For instance DO NOT put it over an air conditioner vent because you think this is the coolest place. It will be cool, or cold when the AC is on, then warm when it is off. All that changing will make your cigars wet and they will fall apart.

I have a humidor in route will it help with the temp?
maybe put on floor in closet
No Justice, No Peace!
No vents in closet hotter than bedroom. Moving in a few months to nc so hopefully easier to regulate heat better than Texas.
For small quantities, nothing beats a tupperdore with a few of those humidpaks thrown in. Despite what the label says, you can use them over and over.