Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inventory, Rating, Description, Tracking software
Admitted Newbie - Let me preface;

I searched the forum for keywords like "program" and "software" in the areas I am allowed before I thought of posting this. I am still learning about cigars. My OCD has kicked in big time. (remember background - reloading ammunition - we make records of EVERYTHING. NOTE: multiple calibers, multiple loads, multiple weapons almost endless combinations)

I keep a log of my smokes. I tape the label in a journal and make my notes about the stick. Date, Construction, Cost, Personal obervations, and like or dislike for future purchases. Thank god temperature, range, wind and humidity records are not required.

Right now all entries are unique. HOWEVER: This is getting out of hand QUICK!

NOW Question:

Does anyone have a referral for FREEWARE or commercial software that can catalog, and provide My comments, inventory list, and my ratings of my smokes?

If this has been covered and there are links I missed, I will be most happy for direction.
Too much work! LOL! I was once like you. Now I just am down to acquiring Oliva Daytona's, My Father's, and Padilla 1932's for the most part. Oh sure I buy a single of something else here and there. And I also get some gifted cigars but now with my newfound buying practice life is a whole lot easier.
I can see it eventually comming to that. I have identified some "Better than Others", and I plan to purchase a few again to see if my impression was correct or just part of the breakin period. However, If my other hobbies are any indication, there will be more to catalog and remember than I have time or ability.

Honestly it has gotten to the point with some things that without the software, I could not keep up with it all. Even expendables "Ammo, components etc.." are not easily stored and tracked without references. I can see this becoming that. Yeah, I maybe overthinking it, however I have history to support my fears.
I think DocStogie Fresh has software review for an Iphone. He also has his own inventory review. He talked about it during his last podcast.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I have seen and heard guys talk about these but I do not remember which direction to point you in. If you keep checking you will find some though.
There is also a couple of apps available on the android marketplace. Not sure about the iPhone.
I tried the app & the doc stogie fresh program for a while when I first started but it was just too much to keep up with. It kind of took the fun out of the experience for me. Now if I have one I really enjoy I add it to a list on my phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
http://www.stogiefresh.info/reviews.html

Stogie Fresh News, Your Source... for all Things Stogie
December 18, 2011

Stogie Rate for iPhone
NOW IN VERSION 1.6

This month marks the very last issue of the Stogie Fresh News. Read more below...

Out with the old, in with the new

They say, "All good things must come to an end." And so it is with the Stogie Fresh News. This coming January would have marked the 3rd year of this publication. In that time I have brought you new articles not published anywhere else, and reminders of articles that were published in one section of the Stogie Fresh website, or another. This will be the last issue of SFNews, but it is only the beginning for new things happening at Stogie Fresh.

It has been a long time coming, but big changes have been sorely needed at Stogie Fresh. In one sense, the need for the Stogie Fresh newsletter was because of the inability of the current website to sufficiently meet the needs of the Stogie Fresh community. The website has been showing signs of age for quite a while now. The site is 7 years old and has been put together in pieces, over the years, as more new sections were needed, but didn't fit cleanly into the web shell. Indeed, the original website was supposed to only cover the topic of cigar humidors, maintenance and all things related to keeping your stogies fresh. Hence the name: Stogie Fresh.

So today, I want to introduce you to the COMPLETELY REDESIGNED STOGIE FRESH WEBSITE. For the past month, I have been spent sleepless nights revamping the Stogie Fresh website. This is not a site hosted in a content management system, but I have coded the site from the ground up. I wanted complete control over the site and all the functions of the site. I wanted to be able to bring you a site that is formatted in the way I think will most benefit the user.

Naturally, I have been dreading the redesign because I knew it would be a daunting task. There is so much information on Stogie Fresh that my Internet Service Provider has more than once threatened to shut down the site unless I cleared a ton of disk space. You can imagine the amount of audio, video, photos and text that have accumulated over 7-years. With 1,000 visitors a day and 100,000 page views per month and visitors from over 100 countries around the world, the traffic has been pretty substantial.

Nevertheless, recently I was inspired to finally roll up my sleeves and get to work. The all new Stogie Fresh web site will be better in every way. It will be more intuitive and easy to navigate. It will be chock full of multimedia resources and will provide you the most focused cigar education that you can find on the web.

The new site will take me back to my roots as an educator. Education has been my life and it is what I do best, so the new site will focus on EDU topic areas: Humidor EDU, Tobacco EDU, Cigar EDU and Health EDU. These sections will provide a multimedia education in the assigned topics. Text, audio, video and photo illustrations will clarify the feature-length educational articles.

Besides the EDU sections, I will have a Cigar Journal section that will focus on "News, views, interviews, and travel."

The last two sections are just as important: The "Reviews" section will cover all Stogie Fresh cigar reviews to date in an easily searchable format. The "Podcast" section will supply you with every podcast ever produced by me at Stogie Fresh.That's nearly 300 podcast episodes (and counting) for your listening pleasure.

In the months and weeks ahead, I will refine and improve the new Stogie Fresh website, which will now be located at a new web address: http://www.stogiefresh.info

The .info domain seems fitting because that is what I have always done: inform and educate. Also, rest assured that the pages of the old website will stay the same. If you have linked to any of those pages, those links will remain unaltered. Of course, you can also choose to update your links with references to the new site. All articles that have been transferred to the new site, have been re-edited, re-illustrated and re-written to update them to the most current knowledge and understandings of the topic matter.

So, this is not goodbye, it is "hello" and welcome to the future of Stogie Fresh! I would like to extend this invitation to join me at the new Stogie Fresh website and partake of the rich content that I will continue to supply now, and into the future.

Thank you so much for your tremendous support of the Stogie Fresh News over the past 3 years. Though the Stogie Fresh News is no more, you can be expecting more new and educational features in the new StogieFresh.info website.

Keep rockin',

Doc Stogie Fresh
StogieFresh.com

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Way to go Doc!
Great work Doc, Getting back on topic. I have RateMyCigar and great app. I don't use it anymore for reasons mentioned. I just want to smoke, I'd hate to check inventory every time i want a cigar.
No Justice, No Peace!
I have been bobbing around the I-net and ran across a package called StogieRate. It's a commercial package. Anyone ever hear of it or about it? Looking at the demo page and screen shots it appears well written and basically addresses my needs I think. It's cheap (one or 2 good cigars worth).

speaking of which, I just received a new shippment of mixed bands. I may need to have a party or get a larger humidor (currently an wooden old box with small humidifier in it).

I see that many of the Cigar "Apps" are for iphone or androids. I work with 2 computers at my desk, and carry a phone camera and tape measure all day. I have been accued of doing everything at once except drive. (My wife has no sence of humor) I really don't want anything else on my phone. I like diddling with the computers in my leisure time and the program I want would reside there not on the road with me.

I looked at RateMyCigar. It is a good package. Looks like it addresses many needs. I just couldn't find out if there is a Desktop version. Is there? I beleive it is a phone app only.

Work places me 100 to 150 miles from the shop several times a week.Lots and lots of miles. When I'm driving I want to enjoy watching the smoke roll out the truck window not inventory my stash. So Im looking for a desktop/laptop resident package.

Opps ran long again - sorry