Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Lovely Congressman
I sent my Congressman, who I knew was a scumbag from the getgo, but hoped for Hope, the letter about H.R. 1639, and this is what he sent me in return.

Dear Mr. Stone:

When I voted to for the Tobacco Control Act, it was a vote to protect our nation's children and improve our nation's health. Proponents of H.R. 1639 claim that cigars should be exempt from FDA oversight because they are not marketed to children and do not present the same public health threat as cigarettes. This misperception has enabled cigar manufacturers to use discrepancies in the law to market to minors, using celebrities like Madonna to promote their products. Minors do smoke cigars. In fact, it has been found that one in five teenage boys smoke cigars- that is a significant percentage. We need to have oversight of the industry to make sure that we do not compromise the health of our children.

Public health concerns are what drove the passage of The Tobacco Control Act, and should remain what drives our policy toward the sale of all tobacco products.

Sincerely,
Raúl M. Grijalva
Member of Congress

IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!! Sorry, that was mine. Big Grin
Git R Dun!
thats full of bologna i think man the cigars he is talking about are swishers sweets an not auturo's or nubs. an half of the kids that do smoke the swishers are not even smoking them mor like splitting them an filling them with weed. now if they wanna make some money on something need to tax weed an make it legal i mean seriously come on.
Dear Mr. Caruso:

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011. I appreciate hearing from you.

As your voice in the U.S. House of Representatives, I always strive to represent my constituents' concerns and interests and to provide personal service to them. I truly value your input and suggestions on the issues before the House. In a representative government such as ours, it is essential that I know what you are thinking in order to do my job.

As you may know, Rep. Bill Posey (R-FL) has introduced H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011, which would remove from the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdiction activities related to the sale, manufacturing and distribution of traditional and premium cigars. H.R. 1639 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health. While I am a strong supporter of our nation's small businesses I am concerned about the impact this bill would have on public health. I will keep your thoughts in mind should the bill be considered on the House floor.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you again about this and other issues.

Sincerely,
RUSH HOLT
Member of Congress
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie, yours should have been addressed to "The Most Interesting Man In The World" lol. For the most part, these responses they send are generated already. They just add little bits and pieces. Thanks for sharing yours.

I agree with you, Dave on the types that they are smoking. It's cigaweed!
Git R Dun!
(11-14-2011, 09:58 PM)stoneiraq Wrote: I agree with you, Dave on the types that they are smoking. It's cigaweed!

I agree to that. especially being at a 'the-middle-of-nowhere' university... where I worked in a convenience store for a few months... everyone who bought "Cigars" were buying white-owls, black and milds, swisher sweets, etc... and many of those people were known MJ smokers.

If these congressmen think these are cigars... they need introduced to the real world of cigars... not childs-play cigars; so they know the what the difference is and better represent the small businesses within the cigar world.
StogieChat's Resident Classic Truck Restoration Amateur.

--Graham
(11-14-2011, 07:23 PM)stoneiraq Wrote: I sent my Congressman, who I knew was a scumbag from the getgo, but hoped for Hope, the letter about H.R. 1639, and this is what he sent me in return.

Dear Mr. Stone:

When I voted to for the Tobacco Control Act, it was a vote to protect our nation's children and improve our nation's health. Proponents of H.R. 1639 claim that cigars should be exempt from FDA oversight because they are not marketed to children and do not present the same public health threat as cigarettes. This misperception has enabled cigar manufacturers to use discrepancies in the law to market to minors, using celebrities like Madonna to promote their products. Minors do smoke cigars. In fact, it has been found that one in five teenage boys smoke cigars- that is a significant percentage. We need to have oversight of the industry to make sure that we do not compromise the health of our children.

Public health concerns are what drove the passage of The Tobacco Control Act, and should remain what drives our policy toward the sale of all tobacco products.

Sincerely,
Raúl M. Grijalva
Member of Congress

IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!! Sorry, that was mine. Big Grin
Dear Mr. Raúl M. Grijalva,

You sir are a douche bag.

Sincerely,
The entire cigar community
(11-14-2011, 07:23 PM)stoneiraq Wrote: Dear Mr. Stone:

Sincerely,
Raúl M. Grijalva
Member of Congress

note....bold by me.......

Ask him for the actual study/documentation on that...a politician would never make stuff up Rolleyes
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Instead of regulating the hell out of the NON children that enjoy cigars, and thus interfereing with those peoples right to the pursuit of happiness...create and enforce powerful legislation to make it a capital offense to sell tobacco to a minor.
I would be willing to bet that the possibility of going to jail for life, without the possibility for parole, for the person who sold the tobacco to the minor, AND the loss of license and one million dollar fine to the business that sold to the minor..... would severely curtail even the folks from india who own all the convienence stores from selling tobacco to minors....

This honestly wouldnt stop minors from smoking. And while I think that people should look out for kids, I am seriously sick and tired of everyone punishing me, because I make the choice to smoke cigars.
I therefore would like to institute a tax on mountain climbing, skydiving, skateboarding, rollerskating, and any other activity that has any possibility whatsoever of injury. Professional sports athletes will be taxed 80% of their yearly salary, because they are professional sports athletes.

Okokok....so its a stupid idea. But so is punishing ADULTS who make a choice to live their life how they choose. I grant that smoking shouldn't be permitted in public businesses, but outside belongs to nobody, therefore smoking should be permitted outside, anywhere.

This a$$hats, Raúl M. Grijalva and RUSH HOLT Should really stop sticking their nose into other peoples business...and the people (like us) who find someones nose in our business should stop screwing around and punch that nose until it removes itself from our business.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
These clowns think that using the "It's for the kids!" line gives them a pass on using real facts or even doing the research to obtain the facts!!!

Of course, if we are not "for" the kids, we must be against them, right? That's what they would want us to believe!!

Bryan

Philippians 4:13
Dear Mr. Caruso:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S. 1461, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this vital issue.

As you know, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act would exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and from user fees assessed on tobacco produces by the FDA. Currently, this bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions of which I am not a member.

Throughout my career in the Senate, I have always been a strong advocate of job protection and small business growth. You will be pleased to know that I was a strong supporter of the Small Business Jobs Act of 2010 which was signed into law on September 27, 2010. This legislation will help create an estimated 500,000 jobs by providing small businesses with access to capital, tax incentives for investment, and support for innovation and entrepreneurship. It will guarantee an estimated $300 billion in lending and $12 billion in tax cuts for small business that have been hard hit by the economic recession and lost more than six million jobs since December of 2007.

It is important to recognize that small businesses are the engines of job growth. From working to increase loan guarantees to eliminating onerous regulations to providing tax relief, I believe that what's good for small businesses is good for New Jersey. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind while I continue to fight for small businesses in New Jersey and all over the nation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I invite you to visit my website (http://menendez.senate.gov) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate.

Senator Robert Menendez
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore