Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you stop buying from Amazon?
when they start collecting sales tax, or any others that start charging. Many states are trying to chance the laws to collect sales tax for out of state or net sales.

The federal law now states that On-line retailers and businesses without a physical presence in a state do not have to collect sales tax on purchases by those residents.

As the net grew in recent years from once catalog sales, that exemption came under pressure from several states looking to fill big budget gaps because they threw away the money we gave them to do a job.

The reason most buy is to save money and the competition is fierce to get our money so competition drove many prices down. Who wins, the states getting more of our money, like they don't get enough anyway. After THEY throw away what we give them, they raise our taxes and blame it on something like to save the children so some pity the state and vote yes. "STUPID Voters"

I have usually gone with the theory, the man with the best price wins. I know I know, I'll pay some more for service or if I have a great vendor that stands out.

What are your thoughts?

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

If I have to pay sales tax (out of state) and it's still cheaper then buying it in a store then I'll pay except for a few stogie vendors.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(09-10-2011, 07:51 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: If I have to pay sales tax (out of state) and it's still cheaper then buying it in a store then I'll pay except for a few stogie vendors.

+1
--Mike
I agree if its still cheaper I will buy if not well....
As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
Not many people realize this but most states require you pay taxes for your out of state tobacco purchases. I guess they think we will all be honest about it. It varies from state to state.

As far as online purchases it depends on the best price overall.
I think at some point all online stores are going to have an added tax that will be like a Federal sales tax. People shop based on price and if each state is allowed to set their own "internet" tax rate then I think we would see the typical state gouging "for the sake of the kids" type thing. Especially on tobacco products. Right now it is almost impossible to enforce the "self pay sales tax" on the box of cigars ordered from out of state. Sending an agent to your house to collect $5 is not worth it, even with penalties. In time they will do a national tax.
Well, as i figure it.... I have to pay an excise tax (aka, another excuse to tax me), on everything I buy outside of California anyway...

True, I could choose not to report it... But, It would just be my luck that I'd be audited shortly after doing that... So, I just keep everything on the up and up.
My man with the best price wins theory seems to hold up.

That's a good point Eric on the fed net tax and it makes HUGE sense. I just don't care to see it in my life. I know even Ebay charges tax if they are in Tennessee and @ 10% I do my BEST to do business out of my state.

Way back when QVC started I got caught up in it and bought some things until I realized they charged tax. When I talked to corp and asked why, there answer was Pure BS. We know we don't have to but if we do it now nothing will ever come back on us and the Government REALLY likes us. EXCUSE MEEEEEE?? So they penalize there customers to suck up to the Gubbment. I was done after that.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

(09-10-2011, 10:47 AM)Admin Wrote: I think at some point all online stores are going to have an added tax that will be like a Federal sales tax. People shop based on price and if each state is allowed to set their own "internet" tax rate then I think we would see the typical state gouging "for the sake of the kids" type thing. Especially on tobacco products. Right now it is almost impossible to enforce the "self pay sales tax" on the box of cigars ordered from out of state. Sending an agent to your house to collect $5 is not worth it, even with penalties. In time they will do a national tax.

A lot of states are trying to get sales information on sales onto their state. I know Georgia tries to demand assistance from certain companies to track sales in the state. Not all do, but CI does. And they will bill you for the tax and penalties. and there are several states doing this now.
I too shop around and always take tax and shipping into consideration. If they tax it, then my focus will be on shipping.
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.