Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest victim of the economy
I've feared it for a few months now, but my position was determined to be worthy of cutting, so I have been let go from my job as of yesterday. It really sucks because in 10 full years after college, this was the first job I'd ever had that I felt like I was one of the dumbest people in there. I mean, the people I dealt with were top notch and I grew a lot professionally having worked with them.

I was being separated because they had nothing open that fits my experience thus far, but it just so happens they have a manager training position in California that I really want. I've wanted to pursue that career path for a year now, but when I interviewed for the job 2 years ago, I gave my word that I would commit to 3 years with them before moving on in the world. This position would interview people with vice presidents and an executive vice president for the job. I want to land an interview because I really enjoyed the company and the work I was doing.

Granted, my termination had nothing to do with work performance. It was merely a formality of cutting heads and how they are reorganizing virtually every department out there as the company has cut approximately 30% of its workforce in the last 9-10 months.

I want to contact the hiring VP and land the interview for the job. One of my strategies will obviously be that I know how the company works and my previous role would be valuable in the new position. In addition, my thoughts were to show I wanted to prove myself enough that I would be to pay me $0.01 for the first 30 days to let me prove myself (provided they paid my expenses obviously). If after 30 days I haven't proven that I'm worthy of keeping, I'll come back home no questions asked. I'd also be leaving my wife and 3 kids behind during the period, so that's another sacrifice I want to prove to them.

Does that offer seem to you to be the type of attitude they'd want in a candidate or do you think it's a move they would view of desperation? Your thoughts???
I think it's a move that a person with no experience would  say not seasoned professional.

I doubt if a company (legally) could even accept such a proposal.

Talk about what you can do for them, stick to the facts and if they want you they will hire you if they even have the opening. If they are laying off now, what will happen down the road in CA?

Sorry to hear this depressing news.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:I think it's a move that a person with no experience would  say not seasoned professional.

I doubt if a company (legally) could even accept such a proposal.

Talk about what you can do for them, stick to the facts and if they want you they will hire you if they even have the opening. If they are laying off now, what will happen down the road in CA?

Sorry to hear this depressing news.

I agree with Jimmie here... 

There is no need to do that, rather, impress them with your skills, abilities, experience, and knowledge about the position and company.  Make them realize that they would be foolish not to hire you.

Just curious - what industry are you in?   And where in CA would you possible end up?

Best of luck in finding your path!

While one can tell that you are enthusiastic, I don't think it's being directed the right way...

Don't tell them what you are willing to sacrifice to get the job; tell them what you will add to the company when they give it to you.  Play up your strengths.  If you tell them what you'll give up, they'll view you as a weak person... and then treat you like one.

Best of luck to you.
Sorry to hear about your job loss.

I agree with the rest of the guys.  You dont want to look desparate.  I am sure most employers are more interested in what you will do for the company, not what you will do to get a job with the company.

What does your family think about a possible move to California?

Good luck
I like smoking lightning
Personally, I'd move on. I don't like the fact that you had to promise 3 years of your talent to them but the company terminated you in 2 years. That company doesn't deserve you and your loyalty.

Don't be bitter. During my lifetime, I've been terminated a few times. When I look back, each time presented an interesting opportunity and a wonderful new direction. I'm glad now. I wouldn't want to change a thing.

Someone needs your unique knowledge and skills. Remember that when you interview. Or maybe start your own business. Find a need and fill it, it's almost that simple to make money and be happy.

Hang in there forgop. You'll look back someday, like I did, and thank them for letting you go.

Dan [pirate2]
Being of CA are you sure you want to come to this F@#$ed up state?  I think we have it the worst right now and there are no signs of getting any better.  Good luck with whatever you do
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
Sorry to hear this news Duane!  From what I gather of you is that you are a smart individual and you will land on your feet.  Do you really want to go to Calfornia? 

As a professional sell yourself and your skillset but don't bring up taking .01 in pay.  They will pay you.  Give me a shout if you want to talk more.
From the very basic conversations i've been able to partake in with you, i dont think anyone here has ANY doubt that you'll end up landing something bigger and better.   Its the American way, my fellow American!

[usa]
The boss that hired me in to the company is being very helpful, but the boss I worked for the past year is being of no help now, so that's frustrating.  He's acting as though he can't extend a professional/personal courtesy of helping me with other opportunities within the company and deferring pretty much everything to the HR rep. 

Anyway, I talked to the VP hiring for the job in CA and he said to get him a copy of my resume.  There's also a job in FL that my former boss and the executive VP said would be a better match in the short term, so that will be my biggest pursuit.  This job would be an operations director for a property and report to the property manager directly with a dotted line to a guy I worked with a lot over the past 2 years.  I talked to him yesterday as he was on his vacation and explained what happened and he was rather bummed about it.  They lined up someone in training to go to the property on a temporary basis because they couldn't find someone to fill the position.  He said had he known this 30 days ago, I would probably be guaranteed the job because he said he knows I'd do a good job down there.  Anyway, he's going to talk to his boss about it and see what he can find out.  It may take a little while, but I think the odds of me finding another home within the company is good.  It's just unfortunate that this happened a couple of months after there were a few other positions that were filled.  I'll keep my hopes up with them as I'm sure there's someone in that group that would find value in keeping me on board.  Just like my former boss said, get my resume out to all of them because you never know who's on progressive counseling for them to pull the plug on someone else and put me in there as an upgrade.