Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone know where i can find a 55 gallon barrel
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I know they're around, was just looking for some sources. Carl, I'm a western sloper, not very close to Denver. But your craigslist plan led me to make a post in the want to buy section. I already got a response. Ive found plenty of places that "get them in sometimes" but none that have one they want to get rid of.
I forgot the add a cheap welding blanket from

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/N...tt=welding blanket&D=welding blanket&Ns=P-Price&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsear...ng+blanket

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

t- that's all i use now is a welding blanket. well, i have a little feed wash bucket the smoker sits in that helps too. i was thinking getting the barrel and using it along with the blanket might help. maybe the barrel isn't even necessary, i don't know. i just have a hard time getting my temps up in the winter. thinking about ditching the water in the water bowl, and using the clay pot trick. maybe that will help too.
Cold is cold and it's tough to fight. Then throw wind in the mix and it evacuates the heat faster. I like the idea of a piece of duct. It's cheap and light. Anything you can do to hold the heat is good.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I also lined the bottom of my smoker with fire bricks, and it has really helped with temperature stability (along with the welding blanket.)

hey t- i scored one of these barrels. got an email from a local oil drilling company. couldn't beat the price, that's for sure. cut the bottom and top off and put some handles i got at the hardware store on the sides. i think it's going to work really well. my question for you, sir, my smoking guru- do you think the air coming in from the top will be enough to keep my fire going, or should i get it up off the ground a little bit?
BBQ is all about trial and error and you do need a draw. If it's a prob, I would cut a 2h X 4L inch slice at the 12 and 6 position and test it. If you need more, do it at the 3 and 9.

(02-07-2011, 06:36 PM)tafdom Wrote: BBQ is all about trial and error and you do need a draw. If it's a prob, I would cut a 2h X 4L inch slice at the 12 and 6 position and test it. If you need more, do it at the 3 and 9.

thanks buddy. think i'll fire it up tomorrow.
I have a UDS (ugly drum smoker) that I use to smoke with. 55 gal drums are perfect for holding heat since they are thick steal. On one load of coal I can make my drum chug along at 20-225 for 12 hours without touching the coals. On mine all I have is 3 1" holes at the bottom for air control. For your application I would cut maybe 4 1" holes for air flow and be fine. Are you putting a WSM in the barrel?
(02-10-2011, 10:03 AM)BaileyCAO Wrote: I have a UDS (ugly drum smoker) that I use to smoke with. 55 gal drums are perfect for holding heat since they are thick steal. On one load of coal I can make my drum chug along at 20-225 for 12 hours without touching the coals. On mine all I have is 3 1" holes at the bottom for air control. For your application I would cut maybe 4 1" holes for air flow and be fine. Are you putting a WSM in the barrel?

yup. i cut the top and the bottom off the barrel. got some handles at the hardware store and mounted them on the sides, so i can easily lift it up and over the smoker and vice versa. my cut around the bottom isn't exactly perfect so i think air will draw up under it, and i'm going to give it a whirl. wanted to do it today, but didn't work out as planned. maybe tomorrow.