Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brently's Homebrew Setup
That's what I was thinking, and what I remembered from talking with you. I betcha they'd sell me that kit with an upgrade to 6-gallon Better Bottles if I gave them a jingle on the telephone.

Would you be able to recommend a couple of the Austin extract kits to start with? You know I'm a hophead.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
(01-02-2011, 10:45 PM)B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote: That's what I was thinking, and what I remembered from talking with you. I betcha they'd sell me that kit with an upgrade to 6-gallon Better Bottles if I gave them a jingle on the telephone.

Would you be able to recommend a couple of the Austin extract kits to start with? You know I'm a hophead.

The first one I only made in all grain, the second and third I made extract and all grain:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_in...s_id=12540

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_in...s_id=12297

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_in...s_id=12398

When doing an IPA, the timing of the hop additions is key. Be as careful as possible when added the hops, and follow the directions as to how much of each. Once you get going, you can experiment, but if you make bad beer right off the bat, you might deter yourself from moving ahead with this awesome hobby.

~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Any recommendations websites/forums/books for advice on starting out with homebrewing?
parkerplus-
I would recommend going to amazon.com and searching for "homebrew". I found a lot of books which are now sitting in my Wish List. Also, check out homebrewtalk.com which is a homebrewing forum.

Tim-
Those first two look awesome, and I'll probably start with those. Thanks, buddy!
(01-02-2011, 11:04 PM)parkerplus Wrote: Any recommendations websites/forums/books for advice on starting out with homebrewing?

Next time you visit, we'll try to set up a brew day...Cool?
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
(01-02-2011, 11:24 PM)Hunlock Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 11:04 PM)parkerplus Wrote: Any recommendations websites/forums/books for advice on starting out with homebrewing?

Next time you visit, we'll try to set up a brew day...Cool?

Sounds great. I'll be up for few solid days at the end of the month.
(01-02-2011, 10:28 PM)B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote: Terri-
I bought the kegerator for the St. George's Men's Fellowship in Memphis. It's still there, and being used heavily. I will probably get a 2nd full-size fridge for the mancave here in Wake Forest, and plan to bottle my brew to one-half gallon or full gallon growlers. I don't want to mess with bottles or kegs.

I sure thought I remembered going to get from the preach and you had it. I remember it was molded and were rightfully p i s s e d. That being said I would have gone with the growlers too for ease of use, not having the kegerator.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Yeah, it was molded out. Huh. I remember that. After that, I had it stored at a guys house that we used for a monthly gathering place for our Men's Fellowship. He took much better care of it.
Well, I did not remember to call MidWest today. Dangit! Puffy Smurf is slacking.
Called Midwest yesterday and they were able to upgrade me to the (2) 6-gallon Better Bottle kit for just $2 more. Also bought a whole bunch of additional miscellaneous equipment, which is on its way. So I should now have all of the equipment that I'm gonna need for extract brewing.

About to place an order with Austin Homebrew Supply for a couple extract recipe kits. Would you recommend 100% liquid, or half-liquid/half-grain? Would you recommend liquid yeast or dry yeast? And do you get any of the extra stuff like yeast fuel or alcohol boost?