Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question for you wiring gurus
working on insulating my attic and want to put an overhead light in the living room while i still can get to everything. Currently there are 3 switches wired together that control the bottom part of two outlets.
So right now we have lights plugged into the outlets.
I was wondering the best way to wire a ceiling light to the switches would be?
Thakns!
PM Fishhound. Maybe, he'll come back.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
that's far too complicated to say in text without pictures. Basically you need to remove the wires form the outlet and get them to the ceiling where you want the new fixture to be. There are several ways to do this. You need to find the easiest. Basically you can pull the wire from the outlet up to the attic, if possible then use that. Or remove the wire at the switch and run a new one to your new fixture. Either way the bottom part of your outlet is now dead for eternity unless you make a small adjustment. You want to extend the wires from the top of the outlet portion to the bottom. Simply connecting the screws on each side of the outlet should do it, but I would opt to change the outlet as they are already ganged.
Just make sure to ONLY reconnect the wires that provided the full-time power to the top. Any unused wires after you are done should be cut back to the insulation, taped and labeled.
Make sure you watch your polarities. A common mistake by amateurs resulting in potentially dangerous hot grounds or shielding.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
Skipper pretty much covered it!
--Mike
Skipper nailed it.

Only thing I would suggest if you plan on rewiring the second level is to run a feeder to the main panel and creat a sub panel either in the attic or a closet, run all of your second floor wiring in the attic, and drop into your walls/ceilings. You can always rewire the downstairs from the basement. Plan ahead buddy, and do it right the first time.

Ever get that GFCI in the bathroom fixed??
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
(12-01-2010, 09:43 PM)Hunlock Wrote: Skipper nailed it.

Only thing I would suggest if you plan on rewiring the second level is to run a feeder to the main panel and creat a sub panel either in the attic or a closet, run all of your second floor wiring in the attic, and drop into your walls/ceilings. You can always rewire the downstairs from the basement. Plan ahead buddy, and do it right the first time.

Ever get that GFCI in the bathroom fixed??

wut. I just want to wire a simple light. LOL the wiring in this house is um interesting enough already. but anyway, nah the bathroom hasn't been a problem lately so I haven't bothered :p
My friend has a friend who used to work as an electrician, i'll see if he can provide some insight. I just want stuff done so i can insulate already!!! ARRGGG!!
insulation is over rated. Keep it cold.
If you feel like getting "close" to the wife, you tell her "come here honey, let big daddy keep you warm"
If your house is more like the house of Al Bundy, then when she complains she's cold you can remind her how warm it is in the kitchen with the oven on, or to put on more clothes.
It's a win/win.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer