Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof Question
I just installed a vent for the bathroom fan today which was venting straight into the attic. Question is, I picked up what must be just a sealer, like that tar stuff in a caulk can. Should I go back and use roofing cement or do you think I'll be fine with that stuff? I'm not sure how much it will 'cure' or if it just stays squishy. And its turning cold finally with overnight lows in the 20s-30s so I don't know if any new product would cure correctly.

Thanks!
If it vents into the attic without penetrating the roof than you need nothing else. What sealer did you get?

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

IF it is vented through the roof ,What you have would work just fine. From my experince in the industry, you would prefer some product that will not cure out totally to a hard substance. the sticky stuff will get a crust on it . What we used to use we called mastic. you could apply it and go back 5 yrs later and it was still viable.
come in here dear boy have a cigar your going to go far
Correction I installed a vent though the roof, so it was NOT venting directly into the attic. Smile

Its called Leak Stopper
http://www.lowes.com/pd_108917-29-0319-G...rchCatalog
(11-22-2010, 01:38 AM)Djaric Wrote: Correction I installed a vent though the roof, so it was NOT venting directly into the attic. Smile

Its called Leak Stopper
http://www.lowes.com/pd_108917-29-0319-G...rchCatalog

You'll be fine with that stuff.
Well i was always told if you went thru the roof you should move a few tiles or lift them put tar paper around your cut out then tile or roofing tar over the tar paper
(11-22-2010, 12:00 AM)buckit60 Wrote: IF it is vented through the roof ,What you have would work just fine. From my experince in the industry, you would prefer some product that will not cure out totally to a hard substance. the sticky stuff will get a crust on it . What we used to use we called mastic. you could apply it and go back 5 yrs later and it was still viable.

Unfortunately I agree with buckit. As long as it does not harden it should be good. Did you vent not include a flashing kit?
--Mike