Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oliva Master Blend 3
Oliva Master Blend 3
Wrapper: Broadleaf Sun Grown
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero
Binder: Nicaraguan Habano
Vitola: Double Robusto

I smoked this about two hours after smoking a Partagas Culebras and an Ashton VSG: both excellent and full-flavored cigars. As I smoked the Oliva Master Blend, I drank a Pepsi Max.

The wrapper was dark, maduro-like, and had a light smell of nut. I also smelled the foot to get a sense of the filler, and again I perceived the faint nut smell. I cut the cigar and took a pre-draw. The flavor was again nut with a little hints of wood.

I lit the cigar and began smoking. The cigar was constructed well, a hallmark of Oliva cigars, and drew easily: not too tight and not too loose, producing ample volume of smoke. This is what draws me to Oliva, a great attention to quality.

The first third produced a very mild sweet nut flavor, like a macadamia nut. However, the flavor was extremely mild and did not last. Normally, there is a pleasant aftertaste from exhaling the smoke. I did not notice this at all as I smoked through the cigar.

This mild sweet nut flavor continued through the second third without much change. I felt I was smoking something more like a Macanudo rather than an Oliva. I was not impressed at this point.

In the last third, the nuttiness continued, but more hints of wood entered the flavor. However, it still remained an extremely mild smoke, too mild for my tastes. With about one inch left on it, I decided to call it quits.

I am not ruling out smoking this again, but I would do some things differently. One, I would smoke it on a clean palate, having it be the first cigar I smoke and not after several full-flavored cigars. Second, I would probably let it rest in my humidor longer. I had it sitting in there about one week, which may have been too soon. Lastly, I would probably only have water while smoking it. I would like to try this one again, as I am big fan of Oliva's lines: I love the Gs and Os, and will be looking for the Vs. Therefore, the Master Blend deserves another shot, but at this time I cannot give it a thumbs up. It was not a dog rocket either, just had higher anticipation for it.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
Thanks for the review. I am glad you are gonna give this one another chance.
I like smoking lightning
* insert obligatory remark about the "light smell of nut" here *

Thanks for the review. Might be good in the morning with a cup of coffee..
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

Nice review!
--Mike
(10-18-2010, 05:31 AM)Soulend Wrote: * insert obligatory remark about the "light smell of nut" here *

Thanks for the review. Might be good in the morning with a cup of coffee..

+1 Rolleyes
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
I consider smoking these stogies a treat. I like the flavor and the burn. Give it another go around..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(10-18-2010, 08:34 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I consider smoking these stogies a treat. I like the flavor and the burn.
Yep, I agree!
This is my boomstick!
(10-18-2010, 08:34 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I consider smoking these stogies a treat. I like the flavor and the burn. Give it another go around..

(10-18-2010, 08:58 AM)EvilAsh Wrote:
(10-18-2010, 08:34 AM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: I consider smoking these stogies a treat. I like the flavor and the burn.
Yep, I agree!

Same here, especially now there smoking great. If you would have said this last year I would be more inclined to agree but I would definitly give it another go around.
Thanks for the review. I am also a fan of these and you are dead on with the nuttiness flavors. I like the MB3 better than the Os and Gs, but to each his own. I appreciate your honesty.
Good review!