Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macanudor Reserve Maduro
Now, I know what you're all thinking:
"WTF??? Did Mac lose his friggin' mind while he's been away from the board? He's reviewing a macanoodle!!!"

Well, I thought the same thing when I chose to smoke it but I just had to try this thing for a few reasons
1. It's new
2. It's got a freaking METAL BAND
3. The shop owner sold it to me at cost to get me to try itTongue

All that said, here's my thoughts on this cigar. In MN this thing goes for about $13-$15/stick. Now, that's starting to be about average with our tax situation the way it is but I immediately thought to myself, "this is gonna be a $4 cigar with a $10 metal band". I was surprised at how good the wrapper looked and the prelight aroma was quite nice. I had high hopes that perhaps this would be like that last Macanoodle I tried and I might like it but still think it was an overpriced cigar. This cigar was nothing special in my book. It was light to medium in body with a beautiful maduro wrapper that overpowered any chance of any other flavors coming through but wasn't especially high in that raisin-like sweetness I prefer from my maduros. All in all, it was a good cigar. Was it a $15 cigar (which is actually a $9 cigar in most places) NOPE, but it was enjoyable enough. When people asked me about it I found myself continually saying, "It's alright. I'd call it a great $5 cigar." I know the plan is just for the first run to have the metal bands so I'd be interested to see if the price comes down on these. If it does and I was in the mood for a lighter, very easy smoking maduro I may pick this one up but I think I'd be much more inclined to reach for a Nestor Miranda coffee break. As it is, you can find these online for $90-$95 for a 12ct. box and at $7.5-$8 it's worth a try if you're into cigars with their own jewelry...Tongue
So you call that a good cigar review?

I'll pass or wait until I see you...

Speaking of seeing you...
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Hehe, sometimes I've wondered why the reviews have two separate subforums. There are many cigars that are passable - not one you would especially recommend but not a yard dart either.

Folks might wonder about a cigar and not seeing it here or in 'Dog Rockets' just figure nobody's tried it. Since people all have different preferences, seems to me the value of a review is more in the flavors, construction, burn, etc. than simply whether the reviewer liked it or not. One man's trash is another's treasure...

Kinda like the Honduran Classic I smoked the other day...I can't really rave about it, nor did I consider it 'bad', so it can't really be reviewed here. So somebody wondering about it has no option but to plunk down their money, try it themselves, and find it as mediocre as I did. Big Grin
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

(09-10-2010, 02:54 PM)Soulend Wrote: Hehe, sometimes I've wondered why the reviews have two separate subforums. There are many cigars that are passable - not one you would especially recommend but not a yard dart either.

Folks might wonder about a cigar and not seeing it here or in 'Dog Rockets' just figure nobody's tried it. Since people all have different preferences, seems to me the value of a review is more in the flavors, construction, burn, etc. than simply whether the reviewer liked it or not. One man's trash is another's treasure...

Kinda like the Honduran Classic I smoked the other day...I can't really rave about it, nor did I consider it 'bad', so it can't really be reviewed here. So somebody wondering about it has no option but to plunk down their money, try it themselves, and find it as mediocre as I did. Big Grin

You raise some very good points. I know for me I don't read a lot in the rocket section. I just assume I don't need to!Tongue The construction and burn were great! It's just that the cigar was... meh. Too many others out there at the right price for me to seek out this one at a high price. It wasn't a bad cigar. It wasn't a spectacular cigar. it was just a unique cigar.Big Grin
Real men don't smoke Macanudo's Mac. What got into you? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Thanks for the review Mac!

Like 'em or not, Macanudos have always had spot-on construction and burn...

One that I am interested in hearing more about is their new Cru Royale line - a step into the more medium range. With an Ecuadorian wrapper and DOM & NIC fillers, it may be interesting...

http://www.stogieguys.com/2010/08/082320...busto.html