Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting facts about about your city
No worries Tony, your just stating facts.
We will have to hook up sometime after I get back from North Dakota.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Well, Maytag reported all the facts of my adopted home of Modesto, but I have lived most of my life in Seal Beach, California. So, here are some facts about my hometown:
Fact #1: Moses parted the "Red Sea" for Cecil B. DeMille's 1923 version of The Ten Commandments on the flat seashore of Seal Beach.
Fact #2: Robert August, one of the two surfers in Bruce Brown's classic surf flick "The Endless Summer" grew up in Seal Beach.
Fact #3: The second longest wooden pier in California
Fact #4: Sandra Bullock lived here for a while
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
"Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea" (affectionately known as "Beerfart" to many that have lived here):

1) Noted for it's many examples of antebellum architecture; unlike other places in the South it was never burned or had much destroyed in the Civil War. The French, Spanish, and English have all had early colonies and forts here.

2) Many major pictures were filmed here including The Big Chill, The Prince of Tides, The Great Santini, Forrest Gump, Something To Talk About and G.I. Jane. It is a popular place to film jungle scenes in Vietnam war movies due to the thick tropical-looking foliage and vast marshlands/swamps. Many of which I know very well, I've spent a minute or two canoeing the uncountable channels and trudging the forests.

3) Named "Best Small Southern Town" by Southern Living, named a "Top 25 Small City Arts Destination" by American Style, and a "Top 50 Adventure Town" by National Geographic Adventure. Though this last one astounds me. Not much 'adventure' here near as I can tell, unless one is trying to find a decent job or trying to get to work on time with everybody driving 10 MPH under the speed limit.

4) Birthplace of "Smokin' Joe" Frazier, Pat Conroy, and home to Tom Berenger (one of his homes, anyway). He can sometimes be spotted here and there, by all accounts a real nice guy.

5) Sandra Bullock and Jesse James had a place nearby, also Evel Knievel's son seems to pass through quite a bit here lately. He can occasionally be found hanging out at a bar downtown. Also a nice guy.

6) A lot of spooky places...an old church whose tabby walls still stand that in legend was burned by a wrathful witch, old cemetaries - even old forgotten ones with crypts throughout the woods, an ancient Spanish fort that once had huge 'disappearing' guns, and a thriving Voodoo community out on St. Helena Island.

7) Excellent saltwater fishing and shrimping. A record Lemon Shark was recently caught; and saltwater catfish, seabass, cobia, and all manner of sharks abound. Hunting, not so much. Even in deer season it's so farking hot that they don't move much; and a full-grown buck is often so small it looks like a German Shephard with antlers.

8) Three military bases; unusual for such a little town. It's Jarhead Central so I know a lot of people.

9) Absurdly hot and humid. If you are convinced you are going to Hell as I am, this is good training.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

(09-19-2010, 09:55 AM)Soulend Wrote: "Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea" (affectionately known as "Beerfart" to many that have lived here):

1) Noted for it's many examples of antebellum architecture; unlike other places in the South it was never burned or had much destroyed in the Civil War. The French, Spanish, and English have all had early colonies and forts here.

2) Many major pictures were filmed here including The Big Chill, The Prince of Tides, The Great Santini, Forrest Gump, Something To Talk About and G.I. Jane. It is a popular place to film jungle scenes in Vietnam war movies due to the thick tropical-looking foliage and vast marshlands/swamps. Many of which I know very well, I've spent a minute or two canoeing the uncountable channels and trudging the forests.

3) Named "Best Small Southern Town" by Southern Living, named a "Top 25 Small City Arts Destination" by American Style, and a "Top 50 Adventure Town" by National Geographic Adventure. Though this last one astounds me. Not much 'adventure' here near as I can tell, unless one is trying to find a decent job or trying to get to work on time with everybody driving 10 MPH under the speed limit.

4) Birthplace of "Smokin' Joe" Frazier, Pat Conroy, and home to Tom Berenger (one of his homes, anyway). He can sometimes be spotted here and there, by all accounts a real nice guy.

5) Sandra Bullock and Jesse James had a place nearby, also Evel Knievel's son seems to pass through quite a bit here lately. He can occasionally be found hanging out at a bar downtown. Also a nice guy.

6) A lot of spooky places...an old church whose tabby walls still stand that in legend was burned by a wrathful witch, old cemetaries - even old forgotten ones with crypts throughout the woods, an ancient Spanish fort that once had huge 'disappearing' guns, and a thriving Voodoo community out on St. Helena Island.

7) Excellent saltwater fishing and shrimping. A record Lemon Shark was recently caught; and saltwater catfish, seabass, cobia, and all manner of sharks abound. Hunting, not so much. Even in deer season it's so farking hot that they don't move much; and a full-grown buck is often so small it looks like a German Shephard with antlers.

8) Three military bases; unusual for such a little town. It's Jarhead Central so I know a lot of people.

9) Absurdly hot and humid. If you are convinced you are going to Hell as I am, this is good training.
Sounds like my type of place. Big Grin

Tony
When you have walked in my shoes, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, then maybe you can criticize.
Might be kind of boring for you Tony. Not many bad guys to take out or buildings to breach. But hey, you can tote around as many guns as you want and knife laws are 100% ignored as long as you're not doing anything wrong. Big Grin

Something I heard the other day too...you can have a pistol straight on your hip if you're fishing, from boat or shore. Gators and sharks, doncha know...Big Grin
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

Henry Hill had a Italian restaurant in North Platte for awhile.
(09-19-2010, 11:32 AM)Soulend Wrote: Might be kind of boring for you Tony. Not many bad guys to take out or buildings to breach.
I'm about ready for boring. More time for leisure cigar smoking.
Quote:But hey, you can tote around as many guns as you want and knife laws are 100% ignored as long as you're not doing anything wrong. Big Grin
Nice!
Quote:Something I heard the other day too...you can have a pistol straight on your hip if you're fishing, from boat or shore. Gators and sharks, doncha know...Big Grin
Nice again!
Tony
When you have walked in my shoes, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, then maybe you can criticize.
I work in Manteca, CA...

"Manteca" is Spanish for Lard.

Big Grin