Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elusive Havana's
(08-27-2010, 10:53 PM)Lurch Wrote: No offense I did the same thing when I first started and got blasted. Figured I could pass on the love.Heart Hang around for a while and someone may just bomb you with a few and you can see for yourself. Also go check out the pass thread and maybe you can help someone try something they are looking for then you can post a list yourself.

It's time.. The big Guy showed my nephew the ropes, it's pay back time..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
My Mum always told me to run away from guys who hang around corners wearing trench coats.

I get ISOM's freely as I am not from the USA, however, and this is just my opinion, there are a lot of cigars that dont come from Cuba that hold their own and in some cases actually kick ass.

I smoked a Cain that I had been saving recently and I am not kidding when I say that this cigar was up there with quality, construction, flavours the whole nine yards in comparison to a few Cuban sticks I could name ............ and the Cain was young .............. I am drooling thinking about how this stck will be with some years on it.

There are also LG's, Anejo's, VSG's, Oliva's and the list goes on.

In short what I am trying to say is that Cuban cigars may be the forbidden fruit of living in the USA, but believe me when I say they are not any sweeter than some of the finest sticks I have ever smoked and that have not come from that Island South of Miami.
All I can do is LOL about this thread.
-Darrell
CK, smoke what you like...period. Don't smoke a cigar because you see someone else smoke it, don't smoke a cigar because you hear it's cool, or hard to get, and don't smoke a cigar because a rockstar or actor or other "figure" is seen or heard smoking one. Smoke what you like...We are all adults, and understand the consequences our actions may have, thus if you feel you would like to attempt to obtain illegal contraband, feel free...but don't think it's going to be better because they are hard to find. Take Parksters word to heart...he is a very wise BOTL, and has the benefit of both smoking our easily obtained cigars, and his easily obtained cigars, and if he says you should try Ashtons, and LFDs and Cains, and Olivas etc...it is wise of you to heed such advice.

And don't ever, EVER ask for someones source, you can be banned, and will be verbally assaulted, I guarantee it. This goes for any board, B&M or social network.
aka: The Bouncer
"I Herfed with The Mum" !! And have the shirt to prove it !!!!
I got my "Big Cock t-shirt from Tankie !!!
At the very least you can get sources after longterm membership somewhere via PM with a buddy. I pick mine up in person and bring 'em back. Big Grin Is it worth it? Depends on you. I've smoked many a Cuban and found them very nice. But my humble opinion is that they are overhyped. Though I'm not old enough to remember the old Habanos, a lot of things have happened since the glory days.

A lot of their talent left when Castro made their cigar industry basically a government-controlled industry. Acres and acres of prime tobacco land was raped by the planting of sugar cane, something the government saw as a better cash crop at the time. This didn't entirely work out and when they went to planting tobacco again - guess what - the potassium and magnesium in the soil - so vital for quality leaf - has been sucked out by the sugar cane. So they import tons of fertilizer from Spain every year.

I get this 'it's the terroir that makes Cuban cigars special' argument from time to time. I have yet to figure out what element of terroir is any different from all other places in the Caribbean basin. I also get 'it's the special volcanic soil' from time to time, when there isn't any volcanic soil whatsoever - Cuba is comprised of continental limestone and was once attached to what we call Florida.

The original seeds like the Pelo de Oro have been supplanted with newer, more disease-resistant, and higher yielding hybrids. The same hybrids that are being used everywhere else. I think a lot of the Cuban mystique is lore today. It isn't even the same plant as when Churchill was PM and Mr. Burns was sucking down El Productos. These beautiful seeds take a lot of work and have a low yield...but I've read that they are coming back in small runs. Cigars from this tobacco will likely give one a taste of what Cuban cigars were like back in 1959 and weirdly enough it will be most likely be coming from Nicaragua or Honduras, not Cuba. I can't wait.

I would love to tried the great pre-Castro cigars of the past, but alas I'm too young. They still make outstanding cigars there; don't get me wrong. But i think overall - prejudices aside - they have likely been surpassed. I can't believe the outstanding tobacco like that grown in the Ometepe region of Nicaragua and the misty mountains of Ecuador is inferior to anything else in the world today.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

(08-31-2010, 11:47 AM)Soulend Wrote: At the very least you can get sources after longterm membership somewhere via PM with a buddy. I pick mine up in person and bring 'em back. Big Grin Is it worth it? Depends on you. I've smoked many a Cuban and found them very nice. But my humble opinion is that they are overhyped. Though I'm not old enough to remember the old Habanos, a lot of things have happened since the glory days.

A lot of their talent left when Castro made their cigar industry basically a government-controlled industry. Acres and acres of prime tobacco land was raped by the planting of sugar cane, something the government saw as a better cash crop at the time. This didn't entirely work out and when they went to planting tobacco again - guess what - the potassium and magnesium in the soil - so vital for quality leaf - has been sucked out by the sugar cane. So they import tons of fertilizer from Spain every year.

I get this 'it's the terroir that makes Cuban cigars special' argument from time to time. I have yet to figure out what element of terroir is any different from any other place in the Caribbean basin. I also get 'it's the special volcanic soil' from time to time, when there isn't any volcanic soil whatsoever - Cuba is comprised of continental limestone and was once attached to what we call Florida.

I would love to try the great pre-Castro cigars of the past, but alas I'm too young. They still make outstanding cigars there; don't get me wrong. But i think overall - prejudices aside - they have likely been surpassed. I can't believe the outstanding tobacco grown in the Ometepe region of Nicaragua and the misty mountains of Ecuador is inferior to anything else in the world.

Very well said!
--Mike
I agree with Parkster on this one 100%. There are plenty of Non-Cuban cigars at a much nicer price point that will give me just as much satisfaction as most Cuban cigars that I have had. NOW, if a box of Cohibas landed in my lap, I would not send them back!!!!
I really appreciate the advice. The reason I joined this forum was to glean information from guys who had been doing this longer than myself. I guess the answer to my question is, if I get the chance to try some cuban gars without going through a lot of hassle then I probably should but if I don't get the chance then I am not really missing out on anything! Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Cole