Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ginseng diggers?
I dont think anyone was saying its bullsh** that you are incorrect in saying that to follow the law, you need to apply for and recieve a permit to pluck a root from the ground.

I think what was being implied, was that its bullsh ** that in order to pluck a root from the soil, you need to apply for and be approved for a permit.

Up next, please get into the line on the left for your forms to complete to apply for a permit that approves you, after background check, an eligable recipient of the forms which will then be filled out in triplicate, sent, filed, lost, found, sent back, queried, approved, and faxed back, approving you to pay the tax which permits you to take a dump in your own bathroom.

I hope you didn't plan on flushing.   Thats form 40-d subsection b, Approval for Distribution of Preauthorized Waste Water into Septic System.   In the meantime, let it mellow (for 4-12 weeks)

Wow, a permit to pick roots....  They collect money on everything!  [curse]
crowb8 Wrote:
ashman Wrote:
crowb8 Wrote:You have to apply for a collector's permit and take a course and pass the test. Sort of like a hunting license.
To dig for some root?.......That's Bull ----

Some folks do their research before they speak, some don't. [pirate2]

[Image: SCAN0078.jpg]
I wasn't doubting that a license is in fact needed, i was doubting that there should be a license needed to hunt a root.  The fact that the license exists is BS.
Ok, I see what you mean.

There are very good reasons the regulation exists. The outdoorsmen here may appreciate an explaination.

The permit is required for the same kind of reasons that a license is required to hunt, fish or trap - conservation.

Wild American ginseng is rare. A digging season is set based upon the reproductive cycle of the plant. The season begins in late summer when the berries that it produces are ripe. Taking the berries out of the woods is prohibited - one must remove them and scatter them in the area - covering them with leaves or other forest floor material at the site. This helps insure continuation of the species.

If you like to hunt, fish and trap like I do, I think you could get interested in ginseng. It gets you out in the woods off the beaten paths at a time of the year when you're starting to think about deer season. It's a perfect thing to do while scouting deer runs and/or new territory. I happened upon sign in the woods while 'shanging that I never would have otherwise.

[pirate2]

crowb8 Wrote:If you like to hunt, fish and trap like I do, I think you could get interested in ginseng. It gets you out in the woods off the beaten paths at a time of the year when you're starting to think about deer season. It's a perfect thing to do while scouting deer runs and/or new territory. I happened upon sign in the woods while 'shanging that I never would have otherwise.
    Makes sense.  The gentleman I was referring to in my initial post was an avid hunter, fisherman, and just an all-around outdoorsman.   
I can never remember what ginseng is used for?????
Almirante Pirata

MK 199 Wrote:I have heard of people hunting it and that it can be worth quite a bit. 

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Ive never hunted it myself (don't even know if we have it here or where to sell it if we do).  I will have to look it up...sounds like a good excuse to go mess around in the woods.  The only thing I have hunted without a pulse is morel mushrooms!

I thought you'd be interested Caleb. I think it grows in the US east of the Rockies so you should be able to find it where you are. Check with your Dept. of Agriculture.

You got ME interested in the morel mushrooms! I've bought them at the grocery store to use in my kitchen. Tell me a little about hunting those. In the woods? Barnyard? Are they the kind you can eat/cook?

Dan [pirate2]
Where could I find information on where it might grow in Western PA, if it does?   Sounds like a good excuse for a walk in the deep woods with my "just in case" pack, and a cigar.
crowb8 Wrote:
MK 199 Wrote:I have heard of people hunting it and that it can be worth quite a bit. 

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"Ive never hunted it myself (don't even know if we have it here or where to sell it if we do).  I will have to look it up...sounds like a good excuse to go mess around in the woods.  The only thing I have hunted without a pulse is morel mushrooms!

I thought you'd be interested Caleb. I think it grows in the US east of the Rockies so you should be able to find it where you are. Check with your Dept. of Agriculture.

You got ME interested in the morel mushrooms! I've bought them at the grocery store to use in my kitchen. Tell me a little about hunting those. In the woods? Barnyard? Are they the kind you can eat/cook?

Dan [pirate2]
Sautee them up in some butter with just a little flower, salt and pepper and they are delicious!  My grandpa got me hooked by taking me when I was really young and would always point me in the right direction because he could "smell" them Tongue.  They can be found in damp areas in the woods, usually April is when they are out in full force.  Its good timing because I go morel/deer antler shed hunting at the same time Big Grin