Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell phone booster/repeater
Just need some feedback if you guys have any...

As some of you guys may know, I have zero cell coverage in my home. I have a little bit out back, but not close enough to the home to make it work.

I was speaking with Robbie the other day, and he was telling me about the signal booster he got for the shop. Sounds like it is working for him, but I want a bit more feedback.

If I get one and mouunt it on the roof, it may give us enough signal to use our cells instead of the home phone, thus saving a little bit of coin each month.

Anyone have any experience with these?
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Never used one, but I think you have to have at least some kind of a decent signal outside in order to boost it to the inside. They are mainly used for office buildings where cell coverage is needed but there is too much steel/walls to permit decent coverage. Also used in tunnels like in Pittsburgh otherwise you would not have any 911 service or anything while driving through them. Whatever you go with, make sure there is a return policy you can live with. You might need something more "industrial" than the typical "car" cell phone booster you see sold.
http://cellphoneboosterstore.com/categor...me-office/

Those have both an internal and external antenna. You have to check frequency of your phones as well. 3g? 4g? For as quickly as things change, the booster might be obsolete in a couple of years depending on what phone you have. Sad
Now, if you have an iPhone and wireless internet.... there is an APP that gives you a 2nd line for VOIP. Its like $10 a month I think and unlimited talk time. Anywhere you have internet you can talk over IP to any landline (USA) for free basically.
http://mashable.com/2010/03/25/line2-iphone-app/

instead of $500 for a booster that will become obsolete (and you have to install), maybe a different phone with the right app? Smile
Hmmmm...lots of stuff to think about there! I do not have an iphone, but my internet company offer a dedicaed VOIP line for $29/month, with unlimited usage...So, that may be an option.

BUT, I really want cell coverage at the house! Verizon gets a stronger signal here, than my ATT, so maybe I can switch???

This sucks!

Thanks Eric!

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Not sure about the boosters but if you are looking for free/cheap for long distance for home then get a magic jack. 20 for a year for unlimited and goes anywhere you have access to a pc. It works on all your house phones and you have a dedicated #. Just a thought.

http://www.magicjack.com/2/?mid=308001&a=55959&s=726

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

(07-13-2010, 08:17 PM)Hunlock Wrote: Hmmmm...lots of stuff to think about there! I do not have an iphone, but my internet company offer a dedicaed VOIP line for $29/month, with unlimited usage...So, that may be an option.

BUT, I really want cell coverage at the house! Verizon gets a stronger signal here, than my ATT, so maybe I can switch???

This sucks!

Thanks Eric!
(07-14-2010, 07:14 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
(07-13-2010, 08:17 PM)Hunlock Wrote: Hmmmm...lots of stuff to think about there! I do not have an iphone, but my internet company offer a dedicaed VOIP line for $29/month, with unlimited usage...So, that may be an option.

This sucks!

Thanks Eric!
Not enough to send and receive calls, only text. What I meant was maybe a booster would work better with verizon....but I do want a droid....LOL