Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
high humidy
Been pretty muggy here in the northeast and I have my stash in the basement. The humidity and temps are around 74. I had the dehumidifier running and was taking the water out of air, but was making it hot. It's been a few days, and can't let it go too much longer. Any idea's?....beads i know...
No Justice, No Peace!
What are they stored in?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I have them in my treasure dome humidor
No Justice, No Peace!
bring it out of the basement and into an a/c room.
Don't have any ac's on at the moment, I guess i'll putt them in the bedroom and crank the ac. On a lark i put some scrap pin wainscoatting in to see if it made a diff, i'll go move them now. Thanks for persuading me to do the obvious, i'm pooped today
No Justice, No Peace!
well, more of the same, humidity at 70 and temp at 72 in box. I ordered beads this am, and I'm thinking of putting cigars in freezer till shipment gets here, any thoughts?
No Justice, No Peace!
What's wrong with the RH being 70? Isn't this what most passive humidifiers are supposed to achieve? and 72? During the summer - and right now, as a matter of fact, the temperature in my humidors is 80 degrees. 72 is positively frigid.

Where I live the ambient humidity/temp sits around 80%/100 F every year, weirdly enough though my boxes tend to be on the dry side...

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, sho'nuff wouldn't put them in the freezer. I don't worry about temp being a bit high, unless it gets high enough for them to spontaneously combust. Smile Cigars aren't some delicate flower that are going to just fall apart over a few percentage points here or there. I hear of more cigars being ruined by people doing drastic things to fight the numbers monster when what they should have done is just relax.

The treasure dome is a nice humi, but it's not some computer-controlled state-of-the-art thing. Temps and humidity are going to fluctuate slightly throughout the year. And are you absolutely certain your hygrometer is 100% accurate? Heck, a lot of old timers just use their finger.

Right now, my boxes are sitting at 68%...you could always send them to me for safe keeping! Big Grin
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]

(06-25-2010, 04:22 PM)Soulend Wrote: What's wrong with the RH being 70? Isn't this what most passive humidifiers are supposed to achieve? and 72? During the summer - and right now, as a matter of fact, the temperature in my humidors is 80 degrees. 72 is positively frigid.

Where I live the ambient humidity/temp sits around 80%/100 F every year, weirdly enough though my boxes tend to be on the dry side...

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, sho'nuff wouldn't put them in the freezer. I don't worry about temp being a bit high, unless it gets high enough for them to spontaneously combust. Smile Cigars aren't some delicate flower that are going to just fall apart over a few percentage points here or there. I hear of more cigars being ruined by people doing drastic things to fight the numbers monster when what they should have done is just relax.

Right now, my boxes are sitting at 68%...you could always send them to me for safe keeping! Big Grin
I really dont agree with you the temp in your Humidor should not go above 70 or you can get tobacco beetle they love to hatch in the warm weather and they will eat your whole humidor..
I would take the Humi into a AC Room asap and leave that ac on 68 for the whole summer the Humidity should also be no more then 70%
well i was fighting to keep it at 70 most of time higher, and temps around the 80's. I have it next to a/c now and ordered beads, i guess i was freeking out, because i was going a few days in the danger zone. I never put them in the freezer and just waiting for beads. Hope this doesn't turn into a cello on/off type of convo..lol btw, what do you do? lol j/k
No Justice, No Peace!
Quote:I really dont agree with you the temp in your Humidor should not go above 70 or you can get tobacco beetle they love to hatch in the warm weather and they will eat your whole humidor..

I have had one tobacco beetle problem (limited to just that stick) and it was a Cuban Partagas. I fixed that by freezing every stick in the humi for three days, transferred to the fridge for two, room temp for one. Tobacco beetles aren't just sitting in every stick waiting to hatch, I've had probably 100 different brands and types from several countries in my boxes and never had a single beetle hatch from any of them except that one stick because (from what I gather) they don't use insecticides. I should have froze them in the first place but had a brain fart. Throughout the course of tobacco production leaves often reach 70 degrees or much more, and I'm quite certain that for most of the history of tobacco there was no such thing as an air conditioner.

I'm curious how many legal cigar smokers have ever even seen a tobacco beetle. If you're worried about it, you can freeze them as I did when you first receive the cigars - it cracks the eggs, killing the larvae, and then you can keep 'em as hot as you like. Like so many other fears, the dreaded tobacco beetle and how your humidor will be shredded in no time if it gets above 70 is an oft-repeated mantra in cigar circles but is pretty unlikely in fact if a little caution is applied.

In many hot places cigar smokers would be hard pressed to keep the temp in a closed box below 70 degrees. I myself live in an old house in a coastal area that is ridiculously hot (not unlike where cigars are actually made) and I'd have a power bill through the roof trying to keep the temp in a wooden box below 70. If you go to Nicaragua you find humidors in rooms that are at least 85 degrees and there isn't even a thermometer to be found in any of them. Yet there the cigars sit, quite unchomped by any six-legged piranha.

You look at the houses of cigar smokers across the Caribbean and there is no way their humidors are all kept at a magical 70 degrees throughout the summer. The 70/70 mantra as a hard and fast rule is largely nonsense.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard

[Image: 1bc4f12b9dc4c6d90564fc11a3f6a43a.gif]