Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NE1 here know where I can get spanish cedar at a decent price?
NE1 here know where I can get spanish cedar at a decent price?

without having to buy a ton of it and pay huge shipping costs. I am looking to do a few smaller old school antique machine humidors, one as a travel one for me.

I may need 20 sq ft total and all the sites I find want you to order like 200 board feet up to thousands of it.

any ideas????
I may do a couple of these and am keeping my eyes open for another larger chest to do as well!

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=...Categories

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=832
Home depot in the closet dept!!
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
(02-27-2010, 12:06 PM)chris1980 Wrote: Home depot in the closet dept!!
chris, I was looking at that type, is that stuff realy the quality I need for a humidor. I know it smeels good, just seem too easy with all I readon spanish cedar and custom humidor threads.

RUMBLON.
(02-28-2010, 11:02 AM)RUMBLON Wrote:
chris, I was looking at that type, is that stuff realy the quality I need for a humidor. I know it smeels good, just seem too easy with all I readon spanish cedar and custom humidor threads.

RUMBLON.

Home Depot cedar is red cedar not spanish. Make sure you wear a mask when work with spanish cedar, the dust is toxic.
(02-28-2010, 12:30 PM)Lurch Wrote:

RUMBLON.

Home Depot cedar is red cedar not spanish. Make sure you wear a mask when work with spanish cedar, the dust is toxic.

Correct, the stuff from Home Depot is not the right stuff and will ruin your cigars. Spanish ceder is the right stuff, and it is toxic and very irritating to your lungs if you breath the dust.

Mohagony is also acceptable as a substitute.
(02-28-2010, 01:07 PM)fishhound Wrote:

RUMBLON.

Correct, the stuff from Home Depot is not the right stuff and will ruin your cigars. Spanish ceder is the right stuff, and it is toxic and very irritating to your lungs if you breath the dust.

Mohagony is also acceptable as a substitute.
fishound, I thought the closet stuff was red cedar and did some checking. It smeels good, but wont work. I didnt think it was that easy. I used old cigar boxes on the original but wanted to make it easier for the next one or two.

Dave
chris, I was looking at that type, is that stuff really the quality I need for a humidor. I know it smells good, just seem too easy with all I read on spanish cedar and custom humidor threads.

RUMBLON.

Actually, that might be not entirely correct. Some Home Depot stores sell Spanish Cedar. You just have to ask / be careful when buying.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I just strip down old cigar boxes. You can get quite a few on the cheap, tear em down and recycle if you can. My homemade humidor is tupperware with the cigar box cedar in it. I must admit I got lucky by having the stuff lying around...not all cigar boxes are made equal but...it's an idea!-Josh
As always, keep on smokin'...
Josh on YouTube